Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: 2022 Women's Ranking Prediction Competition


Lower Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 135
Date:
2022 Women's Ranking Prediction Competition


I know the deadline has passed but any chance please of the following entry being accepted?

1. E. RADUCANU 51

2. K.BOULTER 104

3. H. DART 166

4. S.MURRAY SHARAN 173

5. F JONES 219

6. K. SWAN 227

7. J. BURRAGE 275

8. N. BAINS 276

9. T. MOORE 344

10. A.CARRERAS 431

RESERVE S. KARTAL 443



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 53126
Date:

I'm a lowly minion but I vote to allow sliced backhand s list coz he/she asked so nicely

(And the results today aren't a biggie...But mainly coz good manners should be rewarded! )


__________________


Futures qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 1699
Date:

Coup Droit wrote:

I'm a lowly minion but I vote to allow sliced backhand s list coz he/she asked so nicely

(And the results today aren't a biggie...But mainly coz good manners should be rewarded! )


 It's also an interesting selection - rather different from most of the rest - so it would be fun to see how it compares at the end of the season.  Not that it's any of my business of course.  Just saying...



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 10074
Date:

I do actually think competition-wise, while of course only one match, Fran's result today is reasonably significant, and there may be one or two who might be thinking they'd knock a few spots off their prediction had they entered today, although that said, I've no issue with a slightly late entry (and happy to leave my pick as it is biggrin), and yeah, as ST says, the entry will certainly be well away from 'Mr Average', and will be interesting to see how it pans out.

 

It is interesting seeing all the picks. Naiktha stood out for me. I didn't include her in mine, but I did notice she features a fair bit as a reserve, and many have left her out, including those who's 10th pick passes 400, and in some cases, 500. 



-- Edited by Ace Ventura on Sunday 2nd of January 2022 12:47:49 PM

__________________


Lower Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 148
Date:

SuperT wrote:

It's also an interesting selection - rather different from most of the rest - so it would be fun to see how it compares at the end of the season. 


Indeed. sliced backhand thinks that Ms. Watson will retire this year. I can see the argument, but I don't think that it will happen this year.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 20710
Date:

OK, as I haven't checked the entries yet, I've added sliced backhand. I'll have to update Mr Average as well

__________________


ATP level

Status: Offline
Posts: 3268
Date:

Do you possibly think you can wait a couple of hours and include mine pretty please.

__________________


ATP level

Status: Offline
Posts: 3268
Date:

I'll post it but understand if it's too much aggro for you to include

Emma 9
Katie B 65
Harriet 105
Jodie 115
Heather 120
Fran 145
Katie S 155
Matilda 189
SBG 255
Freya 310

__________________


Futures qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 1699
Date:

I'm chuffed to see you've included Freya emmsie and I really hope your prediction comes to pass. I had her on my list a few years ago when I was expecting her to make the big breakthrough but sadly her ranking just plummeted after that. I considered her as my wild card for this year but didn't want to jinx her again!!

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 53126
Date:

emmsie69 wrote:

Do you possibly think you can wait a couple of hours and include mine pretty please.


 Look, another with lots of 'please' and 'possibly' biggrin

Yeah, a vote for emmsie too.....

(I agree, Ace, that Fran's result was the only one this morning that caused even a slight 'oh, look at that....' - but do you think that one result really can make people think differently for the whole year? And even if it makes people think that, do you think that it can actually BE pertinent, as opposed to people thinking it is? Re the other point, some people vote strategically i.e. leave out Naiktha, even if you think there's a very good chance she'll finish at 320 or so, because then you can put in someone else at 320 who might be a little less likely but give you a real edge if it actually comes true - allez Eva/Ranah !!!) 

 



__________________


Futures qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 1699
Date:

I think the main advantage of entering late isn't the odd result this morning, but the fact that you could base your picks on Mr Average who tends to do rather well in this competition. Not that I'm suggesting for one moment that either sliced backhand or emmsie has done this.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 53126
Date:

SuperT wrote:

I think the main advantage of entering late isn't the odd result this morning, but the fact that you could base your picks on Mr Average who tends to do rather well in this competition. Not that I'm suggesting for one moment that either sliced backhand or emmsie has done this.


 Really? Maybe that's why I do pretty miserably - I never look at Mr Average smile



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 39681
Date:

Interesting the very wide selection of picks to 'make up' folk's 10.

With 9 players having at least 24/29 picks ( 5 picked by all 29 ) there hasn't been much room for anyone else, and Sonay is the clear 10th for number of picks with 15/29.

But Freya now brings to 10 the number of different players picked in top 10s apart from our 'top 10'. So we have 20 in all in at least one list.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 53126
Date:

I think the allowance of a substitute has opened up the appeal of having a 'different' player.

I went for Marni Banks last year - yeah, I know, that worked out well..... :(

BUT coz I could change her with the reserve it was less risky than it would have been

I like the substitute rule, for that reason

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 10074
Date:

Coup Droit wrote:
emmsie69 wrote:

Do you possibly think you can wait a couple of hours and include mine pretty please.


 Look, another with lots of 'please' and 'possibly' biggrin

Yeah, a vote for emmsie too.....

(I agree, Ace, that Fran's result was the only one this morning that caused even a slight 'oh, look at that....' - but do you think that one result really can make people think differently for the whole year? And even if it makes people think that, do you think that it can actually BE pertinent, as opposed to people thinking it is? Re the other point, some people vote strategically i.e. leave out Naiktha, even if you think there's a very good chance she'll finish at 320 or so, because then you can put in someone else at 320 who might be a little less likely but give you a real edge if it actually comes true - allez Eva/Ranah !!!) 

 


Re Fran, it's an interesting one. I've long questioned whether there is a potential top 100 player there, or if it's more a case of positive results getting highlighted due to the unique story, and I have been leaning more towards the latter for a while. I would have had her a fair bit lower, but I didn't realise she was ranked as high as she was, and figured that she should still be fairly high up in the grass WC pecking order and, as she lost every (grass) match last year, with a nicer draw or two, any win she gets will be a gain on her ranking. I may have dropped her 20 places or so had I entered today, but as the prediction had already been placed, I may as well leave it as is.

Re Naiktha, it was more the posters who didn't even have her in the top 400 or 500 that I found most interesting. I'm sure not all will be tactical, and whether it's a case of some thinking she may switch nationalities again, have a continued (significant) loss of form, or maybe even call it a day.

I also haven't seen 'Mr Average' yet. Has TA already posted that, or is it a case of being able to work it out yourself?

 



__________________
«First  <  1 2 3 4 5 6 712  >  Last»  | Page of 12  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard