Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Trump


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 19259
Date:
RE: Trump


Steve J wrote:

I'll just leave this here.

twitter.com/AbigailShrier/status/1352121732723666946


I read the text on the tweet and then read the content of the link. I am struggling to see the conclusions drawn here.

This is a complex issue that has been going around for many years. e.g. If girls can join the Boy Scouts, why can't boys join the Girl Guides ?  If women can participate in men's sports (e.g Annika Sorenstam, Michelle Wie) why can't men play women's sports ?

There are no easy answers to these questions and the trans issue has only complicated the situation even further. 

But when I read the text of the link, the section that jumps out to me is:

"The head of each agency shall, as soon as practicable and in consultation with the Attorney General, as appropriate, review all existing orders, regulations, guidance documents, policies, programs, or other agency actions"

It seems to me that all they are doing here is reviewing policy and that the person tweeting has already jumped to her own conclusions.



__________________


Lower Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 148
Date:

Bob in Spain wrote:
 If women can participate in men's sports (e.g Annika Sorenstam, Michelle Wie) why can't men play women's sports ?

Do you really not know the answer to that question?

As regards Ms. Shrier's opinion of Biden's Executive Order, time will tell.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 19259
Date:

Steve J wrote:
Bob in Spain wrote:
 If women can participate in men's sports (e.g Annika Sorenstam, Michelle Wie) why can't men play women's sports ?

Do you really not know the answer to that question?

As regards Ms. Shrier's opinion of Biden's Executive Order, time will tell.


Firstly, with regards to the original tweet, I am no expert on whether her interpretation is correct or not. But one response from someone who claims to be a lawyer states:

"It's not in the text bc the order has nothing to do with sports. She's confused Title VII of Civil Rights Act of '64which prohibits employment discrimination with Title IX of Education Amendments of '72which requires equality between men's & women's sports in colleges."

https://twitter.com/JJGass/status/1352140334726262790

As with regard to whether I know the answer on the above question that I quoted, it depends on whether we are considering the practical or legal argument. (I should add here that I was not expressing this as my viewpoint but simply highlighting the questions that have been asked over the years). IMO, from a practical point of view, allowing men to play in women's sports is nonsense. But legally, could it not be deemed discriminatory to allow women to play in men's sports but not allow the reverse ?  I have heard tennis players joke about playing in women's tournaments as well.

I have said previously that I am not an expert in this area and for me, it is a complete minefield. Perhaps I am too old and set in my ways but the whole evolution of gender definition is a hard concept for me to grasp. I don't wish to be discriminatory to anybody, but this process has clearly opened the door to many moral and legal conundrums that society still has to get its head around.

I don't have the answers but I am willing to listen and be educated.

 



-- Edited by Bob in Spain on Thursday 21st of January 2021 02:52:38 PM

__________________


Futures qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 1746
Date:

The tweet appears to be a deliberate misinterpretation, posted to play to a certain demographic, where "end sexual discrimination" is a direct equivalent to "force boys into girls locker rooms".

On the sports issue, I understood that in general, the majority of sports started without gender requirements, but only men played. Hence "Football" was a sport that only men played. Women were not encouraged to play with the men (for societal as well as physical reasons) and so equivalent "Women's" versions of the sports were created. Thus there wasn't really a "Man's Soccer", or a "Man's Grand Prix", the sports were - and therefore are - technically open to all: a quirk that allows women to enter. In this instance, oddly, it may be discrimination if women aren't allowed to enter that sport, as the rules don't explicitly disallow it - unlike the wonen's versions, which were largely created (like age-banded versions) with rules that limit the sport to a specific group.

For some of these "open" sports there is no direct reason why women cannot compete with men - this has led to some amusing outcomes, like a woman winning both the overall trophy and the women's trophy for the same race! (noting that there was no "men's" trophy)

www.runnersworld.com/news/a28688233/ellie-pell-wins-green-lakes-endurance-run-50k/

-- in some sports women aren't (generally) physically capable of competing on equal terms.

This is a complicated issue, and it may be that it is only ever resolved by making all sports "open", but this would likely - at least in the short term - disadvantage the demographic that it was seeking to assist.

I cannot understand the arguments for and against transgender participation, let alone when they are further complicated by "self-identification".

Whatever, the whole issue is too complex for a single tweet.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 19259
Date:

The company that makes the counting machines used in the US elections has filed a law suit for defamation against multiple people and corporations in the wake of the accusations about voter fraud. The first line of the law suit starts with:

1) The earth is round. Two plus two equals four. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris won the 2020 election .....

I confess I haven't read the remainder of the 285 page document, but is the start is anything to go by, they are not mincing their words.

twitter.com/JaneMayerNYer/status/1357403624469585920


__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 38549
Date:

Bob in Spain wrote:

The company that makes the counting machines used in the US elections has filed a law suit for defamation against multiple people and corporations in the wake of the accusations about voter fraud. The first line of the law suit starts with:

1) The earth is round. Two plus two equals four. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris won the 2020 election .....

I confess I haven't read the remainder of the 285 page document, but is the start is anything to go by, they are not mincing their words.

twitter.com/JaneMayerNYer/status/1357403624469585920


 I like their style. why isnt trump a defendant also though?



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 19259
Date:

JonH comes home wrote:
Bob in Spain wrote:

The company that makes the counting machines used in the US elections has filed a law suit for defamation against multiple people and corporations in the wake of the accusations about voter fraud. The first line of the law suit starts with:

1) The earth is round. Two plus two equals four. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris won the 2020 election .....

I confess I haven't read the remainder of the 285 page document, but is the start is anything to go by, they are not mincing their words.

twitter.com/JaneMayerNYer/status/1357403624469585920


 I like their style. why isnt trump a defendant also though?


Don't know. Does he still have some sort of legal immunity from his time as President.

PS:

And in other news, despite being proud of his performances, Trump resigns from the Film and TV Union rather than face a disciplinary hearing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/04/arts/television/trump-screen-actors-guild.html

 



-- Edited by Bob in Spain on Thursday 4th of February 2021 10:11:59 PM

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 19259
Date:

Republican Leader Mitch McConnell is as slippery as a snake.

After the impeachment vote, he stood up and said that Trump was morally and practically responsible for the assault on Capitol Hill and there was a good chance he could face criminal charges.

Now he is saying he would "absolutely" support Trump if he ran again in 2024. These people have no shame whatsoever.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 39930
Date:

Bob in Spain wrote:

Republican Leader Mitch McConnell is as slippery as a snake.

After the impeachment vote, he stood up and said that Trump was morally and practically responsible for the assault on Capitol Hill and there was a good chance he could face criminal charges.

Now he is saying he would "absolutely" support Trump if he ran again in 2024. These people have no shame whatsoever.


 Yes, much like the House Republican Leader, Kevin McCarthy. They know Trump is really anathema to decency, democracy and indeed the Republican Party they believe in but ... 



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 38549
Date:

Dr. Allison Gill (@allisongill) Tweeted: How can anyone Nazi the shape of the stage at CPAC? t.co/Q1k0s8lugU

People shouldnt forget what Trump stands for

CPAC is an annual Conservatives conference in the States, look at the stage shape. Trump was speaking. 



-- Edited by JonH comes home on Friday 26th of February 2021 10:13:25 PM

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 38549
Date:

The charges against Trump, whether business charges, state secrets, election charges or sexual are mounting against Trump.

I realise he hasnt been found guilty yet of any of these, but it seems incredible that he could still be voted back in as President and that he could that even if these latest charges are proven, as I understand it

www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-66248859

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 19259
Date:

JonH comes home wrote:

The charges against Trump, whether business charges, state secrets, election charges or sexual are mounting against Trump.

I realise he hasnt been found guilty yet of any of these, but it seems incredible that he could still be voted back in as President and that he could that even if these latest charges are proven, as I understand it

www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-66248859


What is even more incredulous to me is:

1) The more charges are brought, the more popular he seems to get among his base

2) If he were to be voted back in as President, he could give himself a presidential pardon if convicted.

Sounds like a 'do whatever you want' license.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 38549
Date:

Trumps mugshot - wonderful! Talk about striking a pose!



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 38549
Date:

Another one of Trumps co defendants in Georgia has taken a plea bargain, that is 3 of the accused lawyers and one other I believe.

The RICO strategy of getting the lower level accused to cop a plea to land it all on their "boss" is starting to roll along now.

Meanwhile, Michael Cohen is on the stand as a witness against Trump in the New York fraud trial.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 38549
Date:

So Trump gets fined again for his comments in court and then responds :

Trump responded to the court ruling through a spokesperson, who said: Democrat Judge, under control of radical Letitia James, continues to harass President Trump, doing all possible to infringe on President Trumps First Amendment right to free speech and to interfere in the 2024 Presidential Election.

Does the US not have contempt of court as a thing ? Surely this is outrageous to comment on the Judge whilst court is in process? Or is this freedom of speech and it is above any contempt of court concept?

If I was the Judge , Id sling Trump in jail for a night next thing he says like this !

__________________
«First  <  111 12 13 14 1518  >  Last»  | Page of 18  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard