Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: 2019 Grass Court Season - Which British player will win the most MAIN DRAW SINGLES matches - a Poll!
Which British player will win most grass court MAIN draw matches in 2019 Grass season [28 vote(s)]

Konta
53.6%
Watson
0.0%
Boulter
0.0%
Dart
0.0%
Swan
0.0%
Bains
0.0%
Dunne
0.0%
Burrage
3.6%
Taylor
0.0%
AN Other - women
0.0%
Edmund
0.0%
Norrie
7.1%
Evans
35.7%
Clarke
0.0%
J. Ward
0.0%
A. Murray
0.0%
Choinski
0.0%
L. Broady
0.0%
Klein
0.0%
AN Other - men
0.0%


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6109
Date:
RE: 2019 Grass Court Season - Which British player will win the most MAIN DRAW SINGLES matches - a Poll!


JonH wrote:

Will Dan Evans wild card for Queen's see him have a stronger chance of topping this listing? So far, Norrie, Evans, Clarke, Ward, Konta have the most main draw entries

Just to confirm the Brits who have direct entries/wild cards into the grass court main draw events this season so far:

Surbiton (men) - Evans, Clarke, Ward
Surbiton (women) - Watson

Nottingham (women) - Konta
Nottingham (men) - Clarke, Ward
Manchester (women) - not announced

Queens (men) - Edmund, Norrie, Evans (WC)
Edgbaston (women) - no one in directly at this stage
Ilkley (men and women) - not announced

Eastbourne (men) - Norrie
Eastbourne (women) - Konta

Wimbledon (men) - Edmund, Norrie and Evans direct entry
Wimbledon (women) - Konta 



Updated above, heather just missing out on direct entry at least initially


 



__________________
JonH


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6109
Date:

Interesting that although last year sprung a surprise, with katie B and Harriet D winning jointly, no one has gone down the Harriet route so far - Katie obviously is injured, but thought someone might back Harriet? Indeed, 95% of the votes so far have followed the Main tour players as opposed to the second tier types, only one person has gone down that route (AV) and that might well be where the rich pickings lie

__________________
JonH


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 7047
Date:

JonH wrote:

Interesting that although last year sprung a surprise, with katie B and Harriet D winning jointly, no one has gone down the Harriet route so far - Katie obviously is injured, but thought someone might back Harriet? Indeed, 95% of the votes so far have followed the Main tour players as opposed to the second tier types, only one person has gone down that route (AV) and that might well be where the rich pickings lie


Maybe, but we don't have the evidence that players like Harriet are suddenly going to start to turn their year around yet - or indeed stay injury free through the grass season. Katie B would have had support if fit. Hope she's back not too long.  



__________________


Masters Series Champion

Status: Offline
Posts: 3709
Date:

Michael D wrote:
JonH wrote:

Interesting that although last year sprung a surprise, with katie B and Harriet D winning jointly, no one has gone down the Harriet route so far - Katie obviously is injured, but thought someone might back Harriet? Indeed, 95% of the votes so far have followed the Main tour players as opposed to the second tier types, only one person has gone down that route (AV) and that might well be where the rich pickings lie


Maybe, but we don't have the evidence that players like Harriet are suddenly going to start to turn their year around yet - or indeed stay injury free through the grass season. Katie B would have had support if fit. Hope she's back not too long.  


 Or even those like Liam - the poll is main draw singles wins and who knows if he (or various others) will get WC or not? Because if not, it means that at least 2/3 matches have to be won before the main draw ones.



__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6109
Date:

flamingowings wrote:
Michael D wrote:
JonH wrote:

Interesting that although last year sprung a surprise, with katie B and Harriet D winning jointly, no one has gone down the Harriet route so far - Katie obviously is injured, but thought someone might back Harriet? Indeed, 95% of the votes so far have followed the Main tour players as opposed to the second tier types, only one person has gone down that route (AV) and that might well be where the rich pickings lie


Maybe, but we don't have the evidence that players like Harriet are suddenly going to start to turn their year around yet - or indeed stay injury free through the grass season. Katie B would have had support if fit. Hope she's back not too long.  


 Or even those like Liam - the poll is main draw singles wins and who knows if he (or various others) will get WC or not? Because if not, it means that at least 2/3 matches have to be won before the main draw ones.


 It's TRUE, my concern If we had tried to count qualies as well is that whilst it would have rewarded players getting wins in the qualy rounds, of course those with wild cards would be at a disadvantage as they would miss the chance to pick up a few easier (?) Wins. 

 

I wont do a poll but will keep track of qualies wins for interests sake ! 



__________________
JonH


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 33058
Date:

Went for Harriet last year. Just not sure she's fully fit this year.

So went for Dan.

Sometimes the old favourites are the best

Although Dan's chances of winning the most matches might be less now he's in Queens.

The smaller tournaments obviously give the best chance of racking up the most wins.

Anyway, go Evo !

Jodie would be my pick as the one to surprise, rather a la Harriet last year.




__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6809
Date:

It was me who went the ITF route with Jodie. It's a long shot, but she could do with doing well either this week or next week to get her confidence up (and ranking boosted) and ensure she is one of the 4 Surbiton MDWCs (she could do with Harriet getting in there directly if she is fit) and then her playing Manchester and Ilkley main draws, rather than Notts / Birmingham quals.


__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 33058
Date:

Ace Ventura wrote:

It was me who went the ITF route with Jodie. It's a long shot, but she could do with doing well either this week or next week to get her confidence up (and ranking boosted) and ensure she is one of the 4 Surbiton MDWCs (she could do with Harriet getting in there directly if she is fit) and then her playing Manchester and Ilkley main draws, rather than Notts / Birmingham quals.


Yes, I think it's a good pick. I dithered. Jodie will get a wildcard (I believe) for a bigger event and, playing the smaller events gives you the chance of more wins. 

She was definitely my number two. But just went for Evo out of a 'feeling nostalgic' moment, and hoping that he's finally got something to prove and this will be his year. 

Add: of course, the same 'Jodie' argument might now apply to Katie Swan  



-- Edited by Coup Droit on Wednesday 22nd of May 2019 10:01:06 AM

__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6109
Date:

Coup Droit wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:

It was me who went the ITF route with Jodie. It's a long shot, but she could do with doing well either this week or next week to get her confidence up (and ranking boosted) and ensure she is one of the 4 Surbiton MDWCs (she could do with Harriet getting in there directly if she is fit) and then her playing Manchester and Ilkley main draws, rather than Notts / Birmingham quals.


Yes, I think it's a good pick. I dithered. Jodie will get a wildcard (I believe) for a bigger event and, playing the smaller events gives you the chance of more wins. 

She was definitely my number two. But just went for Evo out of a 'feeling nostalgic' moment, and hoping that he's finally got something to prove and this will be his year. 

Add: of course, the same 'Jodie' argument might now apply to Katie Swan  



-- Edited by Coup Droit on Wednesday 22nd of May 2019 10:01:06 AM


 create a new profile on the board and have a second pick - CD2! or Coup Gauche!



__________________
JonH


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 33058
Date:

Now that would be sad..... although funny

__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 7047
Date:

I'd love there to be a really big surprise here - Katie S, Jodie, Harriet, Cam - whoever!!

Even Dan or Jo winning gloriously... Let's just have a GB upside finally this year! (And as in fact Strongbow's graph showed elsewhere, we have had a significant upturn in tournament titles won the last few weeks, albeit of course at predominantly lower levels than will be seen anywhere in the UK during the grass court season).

__________________


Satellite level

Status: Offline
Posts: 1247
Date:

Harriet is likely to get WCs to the WTA events this year so her chances of match wins will be limited.

__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6809
Date:

Yeah, with Katie B likely to be out, the two Nottingham MDWCs will now likely go to go Heather and Harriet, and if there's no top 20 WC takers, Katie S would probably get the 3rd (even before today, as the highest ranked and a Fed Cup member). It might depend on how players perform at Surbiton, Nottingham and Manchester, but you'd probably expect the two H's to be the front runners for the 2 Birmingham MDWCs as well, and as RS says, there will generally be less chance of wins than if they were playing the ITF events.

__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6109
Date:

Have Katy swan and heather Watson done enough on clay for anyone to give them a vote on grass .? !

__________________
JonH


Club Coach

Status: Offline
Posts: 602
Date:

I think Harriet's withdrawal from RG might have put people off voting for her, as at the moment we don't know how serious the injury is and how it will affect her when she returns. What's more disappointing is that no-one has voted for Kyle. I know his recent form has been disappointing but I really hope he can prove everybody wrong.

__________________
«First  <  1 2 3 410  >  Last»  | Page of 10  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard