Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: 2018 female prediction rankings


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 5113
Date:
RE: 2018 female prediction rankings


Here's another look at optimism.
This time, just looking at our average predictions for each GB ranking spot for the GB Top 10.
You can see the actual range of best to worst WTA rankings achieved in the whole of 2017 for each of the top 10 GB places (the grey range), and the average position throughout the year for that GB rank (the blue line).
Then you have the average of all guesses so far for that GB rank from predictions so far in the 2018 competition (the gold line - includes all entries up to and including LordBrownof).

You can see how our predictions suggest that for 7 out of the top 10 places we believe that the year end rank for that GB place will exceed the best rank achieved by any player in that rank, at any point in 2017.
For 2 of the remaining 3 places (3, 5) we also believe we will exceed the 2017 average, we just don't exceed 2017 best performance in our aspirations.

The only place where we see a regression is the top spot, and that obviously has a lot more room to fall than improve given Johanna's superlative 2017.

May our optimism be matched by the players performance - what a year it would be!

rQD9UGq.png



__________________

Data I post, opinions I offer, 'facts' I assert, are almost certainly all stupidly wrong.



Top national player

Status: Offline
Posts: 3442
Date:

1    Konta    3
2    Watson  65
3    Broady    95
4    Robson  120
5    Boulter   170
6    Dunne    210
7    Swan     230
8    Moore    240
9    Taylor    250
10   Dart      260

Also buying a  lottery ticket. smile



__________________


Grand Slam Champion

Status: Offline
Posts: 4098
Date:

Here goes, wishfully thinking the new generation really start to catch fire this year :)

Konta 8
Watson 45
Broady 89
Taylor 125
Boulter 127
Swan 129
Dart 131
Dunne 189
Murray 199
Christie 249

And hoping Laura takes advantage of my reverse jinx :)

__________________


Lower Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 181
Date:

I have been an avid follower of the forum for a long time but this is my first post - thought I would enter the predictions competition so here goes:-

Konta 16
Watson 70
Broady 110
Robson 140
Boulter 160
Taylor 190
Dunne 214
Swan 220
Dart 240
Lumsden 375

Probably not as optimistic as some but best of luck to all our GB women for 2018.


__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 5113
Date:

brittak wrote:

I have been an avid follower of the forum for a long time but this is my first post [...] Probably not as optimistic as some but best of luck to all our GB women for 2018.


Welcome out of the shadows, brittak
Last year, miriambee's less optimistic listing won the competition quite easily, so perhaps you're similarly on to a winner.



__________________

Data I post, opinions I offer, 'facts' I assert, are almost certainly all stupidly wrong.



Lower Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 181
Date:

Thanks blob - btw all your stats are amazing!!

__________________


Lower Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 121
Date:

Before Heather gets the year underway, here goes.

Konta 7
Watson 64
Broady 89
Boulter 137
Taylor 144
Dunne 211
Dart 214
Swan 237
Robson 274
Christie 288

__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6867
Date:

brittak wrote:

Thanks blob - btw all your stats are amazing!!


And when are we going to see your own predictions blob, since you haven't yet made them?! 

Also CD's for that matter....



__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6867
Date:

blob wrote:
brittak wrote:

I have been an avid follower of the forum for a long time but this is my first post [...] Probably not as optimistic as some but best of luck to all our GB women for 2018.


Welcome out of the shadows, brittak
Last year, miriambee's less optimistic listing won the competition quite easily, so perhaps you're similarly on to a winner.


 And welcome too brittak, though I'd still rate your predictions as relatively optimistic with 9 players under 240! We currently have 4 biggrin



__________________


Hall of fame

Status: Offline
Posts: 8349
Date:

Michael D wrote:
brittak wrote:

Thanks blob - btw all your stats are amazing!!


And when are we going to see your own predictions blob, since you haven't yet made them?! 

Also CD's for that matter....


 There's a few other big names waiting until the last minute - Steven for one !



__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6867
Date:

the addict wrote:
Michael D wrote:
brittak wrote:

Thanks blob - btw all your stats are amazing!!


And when are we going to see your own predictions blob, since you haven't yet made them?! 

Also CD's for that matter....


 There's a few other big names waiting until the last minute - Steven for one !


 ...who seems to be travelling back to the UK, and sans computer.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 30667
Date:

Steven doesn't seem to do the prediction contests. But yes expecting to see a few more pitch in before close of play.

Great to see how latter predictors have generally really been taking on board all blob's information on optimism - err, not   biggrin

May the final positions tie in with general optimism !



__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6867
Date:

indiana wrote:

Steven doesn't seem to do the prediction contests. But yes expecting to see a few more pitch in before close of play.

Great to see how latter predictors have generally really been taking on board all blob's information on optimism - err, not   biggrin

May the final positions tie in with general optimism !


There is of course a strong psychological (and healthy) element to the optimism... better to be setting stretch targets and then wanting to see players improve (even if the targets are optimistic), than to predict a fall... but not really want it to happen. That's unless one believes in reverse psychology aka Laura smile

As for the optimism, the other point is that I think people are happy to be optimistic on 5-6 upcoming players... and then see 1-2 of them really improve near those targets. The intrigue - and fun - of it is, which ones will actually do it? smile  



__________________


Lower Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 152
Date:


Konta 18
Watson 55
Broady 120
Boulter 175
Taylor 180
Swan 195
Robson 200
Dunne 250
Dart 280
Moore 300



__________________
Sim


County player

Status: Offline
Posts: 942
Date:

Finally got round to looking at this:

J Konta 10

H Watson 55

N Broady 100

K Boulter 150

L Robson 230

K Swan 240

K Dunne 250

G Taylor 260

H Dart 300

E Silva 310



__________________
«First  <  1 2 3 4 5 6 713  >  Last»  | Page of 13  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard