Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Girls: 2023 European Summer Cups - U12/U14/U16/U18


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 32636
Date:
RE: Girls: 2023 European Summer Cups - U12/U14/U16/U18


DavidC wrote:

The draw for the European Summer Cup under 16 finals has taken place and we face Germany, probably the strongest of the unseeded nations (they lost to the Czech Republic in the seeding round) led by 2022 Les Petits As champion Julia Stusek (WTA 888). The winners of that tie reach the semis and also book one of the 5 available places in the Junior Billie Jean King Cup


 I was surprised to read it it the under 16s world events that are referred to as junior Davis and BJK Cups. Id have thought the 18s would be the junior peak level? What are they known as for the under 18 world finals? 



__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6065
Date:

JonH comes home wrote:
DavidC wrote:

The draw for the European Summer Cup under 16 finals has taken place and we face Germany, probably the strongest of the unseeded nations (they lost to the Czech Republic in the seeding round) led by 2022 Les Petits As champion Julia Stusek (WTA 888). The winners of that tie reach the semis and also book one of the 5 available places in the Junior Billie Jean King Cup


 I was surprised to read it it the under 16s world events that are referred to as junior Davis and BJK Cups. Id have thought the 18s would be the junior peak level? What are they known as for the under 18 world finals? 


Most U18s would be playing WTA/ITF tennis and might even be playing in the BJK cup proper.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 32636
Date:

Strongbow wrote:
JonH comes home wrote:
DavidC wrote:

The draw for the European Summer Cup under 16 finals has taken place and we face Germany, probably the strongest of the unseeded nations (they lost to the Czech Republic in the seeding round) led by 2022 Les Petits As champion Julia Stusek (WTA 888). The winners of that tie reach the semis and also book one of the 5 available places in the Junior Billie Jean King Cup


 I was surprised to read it it the under 16s world events that are referred to as junior Davis and BJK Cups. Id have thought the 18s would be the junior peak level? What are they known as for the under 18 world finals? 


Most U18s would be playing WTA/ITF tennis and might even be playing in the BJK cup proper.


 mmm



__________________


Intermediate Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 261
Date:

JonH comes home wrote:
DavidC wrote:

The draw for the European Summer Cup under 16 finals has taken place and we face Germany, probably the strongest of the unseeded nations (they lost to the Czech Republic in the seeding round) led by 2022 Les Petits As champion Julia Stusek (WTA 888). The winners of that tie reach the semis and also book one of the 5 available places in the Junior Billie Jean King Cup


 I was surprised to read it it the under 16s world events that are referred to as junior Davis and BJK Cups. Id have thought the 18s would be the junior peak level? What are they known as for the under 18 world finals? 


There isn't an 18 and under world team event. Only at European level.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 32636
Date:

9vicman wrote:
JonH comes home wrote:
DavidC wrote:

The draw for the European Summer Cup under 16 finals has taken place and we face Germany, probably the strongest of the unseeded nations (they lost to the Czech Republic in the seeding round) led by 2022 Les Petits As champion Julia Stusek (WTA 888). The winners of that tie reach the semis and also book one of the 5 available places in the Junior Billie Jean King Cup


 I was surprised to read it it the under 16s world events that are referred to as junior Davis and BJK Cups. Id have thought the 18s would be the junior peak level? What are they known as for the under 18 world finals? 


There isn't an 18 and under world team event. Only at European level.


 Oh, ok. Why would that be ? Not that it really matters ! But explains the junior Davis and Fed Cup alignments 



__________________


Intermediate Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 261
Date:

JonH comes home wrote:
9vicman wrote:
JonH comes home wrote:
DavidC wrote:

The draw for the European Summer Cup under 16 finals has taken place and we face Germany, probably the strongest of the unseeded nations (they lost to the Czech Republic in the seeding round) led by 2022 Les Petits As champion Julia Stusek (WTA 888). The winners of that tie reach the semis and also book one of the 5 available places in the Junior Billie Jean King Cup


 I was surprised to read it it the under 16s world events that are referred to as junior Davis and BJK Cups. Id have thought the 18s would be the junior peak level? What are they known as for the under 18 world finals? 


There isn't an 18 and under world team event. Only at European level.


 Oh, ok. Why would that be ? Not that it really matters ! But explains the junior Davis and Fed Cup alignments 


 I think it was felt that worldwide competitions in the 14 and 16 and under age groups are more relevant for the development if junior players. 



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 32636
Date:

9vicman wrote:
JonH comes home wrote:
9vicman wrote:
JonH comes home wrote:
DavidC wrote:

The draw for the European Summer Cup under 16 finals has taken place and we face Germany, probably the strongest of the unseeded nations (they lost to the Czech Republic in the seeding round) led by 2022 Les Petits As champion Julia Stusek (WTA 888). The winners of that tie reach the semis and also book one of the 5 available places in the Junior Billie Jean King Cup


 I was surprised to read it it the under 16s world events that are referred to as junior Davis and BJK Cups. Id have thought the 18s would be the junior peak level? What are they known as for the under 18 world finals? 


There isn't an 18 and under world team event. Only at European level.


 Oh, ok. Why would that be ? Not that it really matters ! But explains the junior Davis and Fed Cup alignments 


 I think it was felt that worldwide competitions in the 14 and 16 and under age groups are more relevant for the development if junior players. 


 ok , makes sense. 



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 17829
Date:

For only the second time in the 46 year history of the U16 European Summer Cup Great Britain is through to the final smile

The one previous occasion was 2008 with a team including Heather Watson and Tara Moore.

As expected today's tie went to a deciding doubles, which Hannah and Mimi won emphatically. The final will be very tough though, against a Czech team with both singles player higher ranked, and which has not lost a set here

U16 SF

(3)Serbia 1 (2)GBR 2

Masa Jankovic lost to Hannah Klugman 4-6 1-6
Teodora Kostovic beat Mingge Xu 6-3 7-5
Kostovic/Virc lost to Klugman/Xu 3-6 0-6

U16 F

(1)Czech Republic v (2)GBR




__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 32636
Date:

Brilliant - well done. Hannah seems to have led the way!

__________________
Var


Intermediate Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 365
Date:

Well done Hannah and Mimi!



__________________
VRoberts


Futures qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 1684
Date:

Bloody brilliant.

__________________

GO TEAM GBR IN 2023!

Nix


Futures qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 1578
Date:

Well done girls! Great effort.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 51153
Date:

www.tenniseurope.org/file/930704/040203-Team-Great-Britain-Summer-Cups-16U-2023

Great photo - and great spelling blunder - it about sums up how great our Great Britain is at the moment.... :(

__________________


Intermediate Club Player

Status: Online
Posts: 288
Date:

Coup Droit wrote:

www.tenniseurope.org/file/930704/040203-Team-Great-Britain-Summer-Cups-16U-2023

Great photo - and great spelling blunder - it about sums up how great our Great Britain is at the moment.... :(


 Who is who in the photo please?



__________________

She/her



Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 51153
Date:

For the players, it's Hannah in the middle (tall girl, white, with blonde hair)
Mimi is next to her on her left (tall girl with black hair and Chinese parents)
Hep is next to her (slightly shorter, black, lots of dreadlocks)

Katie O'Brien is the female coach. Can't put a name to the male one (or the flag-bearer )

Add: For completeness

Hannah Klugman

Mimi Xu (official first name Mingge, but always goes by Mimi) 

Hephzibah Oluwadare 



-- Edited by Coup Droit on Wednesday 9th of August 2023 07:16:34 AM

__________________
«First  <  1 2 3 4 5  >  Last»  | Page of 5  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard