Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: 2022 BJK Cup Qualifiers - Czech Republic vs GB - 15-16 April - plus pre Finals preamble


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 17916
Date:
2022 BJK Cup Qualifiers - Czech Republic vs GB - 15-16 April


The first set was very good but the standard of play from both players dropped off as the wind got up in the 2nd set.

__________________


Strong Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 504
Date:

Watched the first match, and the first part of the 2nd match upto 3-3 in the first set. Was pleasantly surprised to find that Raducanu had won in two [hard fought] sets. It was a really tough match for Dart, she really felt the pressure playing first against a top player on the clay, and quite understandably she lost a bit of control. It was so difficult, as Vondrousova looked very comfortable on the surface, easy power when she needed it, and time to play a variety of shots. Harriet I'm sure could have played a lot better, but it was all stacked up against her. I watched extended highlights of the rest of Raducanu's match and it seemed like Emma was adapting quickly to the surface, playing a variety of shots, just extending the rally often times, waiting for the moment to be aggressive, waiting for her opponent to take the risk and try to make a winner. It was great to see Harriet give Emma a big hug at the end of the 2nd match, the GB team are still in it, though tomorrow will be another tough day.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 39933
Date:

I didn't see the match. But whatever Martincova's clay court record, as I said she still has a lot more pro tour experience on clay than Emma, ie she certainly has some and has some wins. And she is WR 50.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 39933
Date:

Anyway, with Match 4 now definitely going to be a live match, a pragmatic decision will have to be made as to who plays.

As long as she is fit and well I think that still has to be Harriet. Although she will need a slight step up!

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 17916
Date:

DART, Harriet (GBR) 101 lost to VONDROUSOVA, Marketa (CZE) 32 1-6 0-6
RADUCANU, Emma (GBR) 12 def MARTINCOVA, Tereza (CZE) 50 7-5 7-5

RADUCANU, Emma (GBR) 12 =CH v VONDROUSOVA, Marketa (CZE) 32 (CH=14 2019)
DART, Harriet (GBR) 101 (CH=99 2022) v MARTINCOVA, Tereza (CZE) 50 (CH=40 2022)

__________________


Strong Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 504
Date:

indiana wrote:

Anyway, with Match 4 now definitely going to be a live match, a pragmatic decision will have to be made as to who plays.

As long as she is fit and well I think that still has to be Harriet. Although she will need a slight step up!


Right at the end of the video of the draw, it shows the third match as being between Swan and Bouzcova, though I'm not sure if the draw for the 2nd day's matches is a formality?

I think I'd protect Harriet a bit if I was coach, she took a big hit today, I'd save her for the doubles (if needed) and stick with the draw as it was made. GB haven't got anything to lose, really.

 

 



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 39933
Date:

If I was the coach I would pick a combination of day 2 singles abd doubles players deemed most likely to get as an unlikely win in the overall tie.

To my mind that's her job

It is a fair point though that we would want Harriet in the doubles if it goes 2-2. I can on reflection see that she may be better for that not coming off say another tough singles loss.



__________________


Lower Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 148
Date:

indiana wrote:

As long as she is fit and well I think that still has to be Harriet.


If Raducanu loses match 3, play Dart in 4. If Raducanu wins match 3, I would decide who is going to play match 5 (Dart and Raducanu?) and then chose somebody else for match 4.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 39933
Date:

GAMEOVER post in the Nottingham W25 thread:

Excluding the ties in North America GB's tie is the only play off tie with the score 1-1after 2 rubbers.Winning a FedCup/ BJ King match on a clay court is a rare feat for our players over the years.Laura won one against Argentina in 2013 and Jo beat Cirstea in Rumania 2017.



__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6901
Date:

kundalini wrote:

Think I spotted philwrig and his hat in the crowd.

Didn't think much of Emma's performance but glad she got the win. I expected her to play with far more imagination, though perhaps the wind made it too difficult. Don't like her getting pushed around deep behind her baseline, even if Martincova made enough errors to help Raducanu win this match.


 Be nice to have some on site reporting from Philwrig or anyone else who is there hint hint lol



__________________


Satellite level

Status: Offline
Posts: 1434
Date:

indiana wrote:

Anyway, with Match 4 now definitely going to be a live match, a pragmatic decision will have to be made as to who plays.

As long as she is fit and well I think that still has to be Harriet. Although she will need a slight step up!


 This is no time for sentiment, Harriet is currently being eaten alive on clay so throw Sonay on Match 4.



__________________


Challenger qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 2129
Date:

indiana wrote:

GAMEOVER post in the Nottingham W25 thread:

Excluding the ties in North America GB's tie is the only play off tie with the score 1-1after 2 rubbers.Winning a FedCup/ BJ King match on a clay court is a rare feat for our players over the years.Laura won one against Argentina in 2013 and Jo beat Cirstea in Rumania 2017.





Emma is the 10th GB woman to win a Fed Cup singles match on clay this century. In total, including today, GBR have a 19-39 record on clay this century. The other players to have won a singles Fed Cup match on clay (with number of wins) are
Anne Keothavong5
Elena Baltacha5
Louise Latimer2
Hannah Collin1
Heather Watson1
Jane Odonoghue1
Johanna Konta1
Julie Pullin1
Laura Robson1


Most of those wins came between 2000 and 2007 when our group stage matches were on clay in all but 2 years. Since then we have only played on clay in 2013, 2017, 2020 and today, all in 2 day ties. In each of those 2 day ties we have won 1 singles match, Laura and Jo as Gameover mentions, and also Heather in 2020.

__________________


Satellite level

Status: Offline
Posts: 1245
Date:

Lambda wrote:
indiana wrote:

 

GAMEOVER post in the Nottingham W25 thread:

Excluding the ties in North America GB's tie is the only play off tie with the score 1-1after 2 rubbers.Winning a FedCup/ BJ King match on a clay court is a rare feat for our players over the years.Laura won one against Argentina in 2013 and Jo beat Cirstea in Rumania 2017.



 



Emma is the 10th GB woman to win a Fed Cup singles match on clay this century. In total, including today, GBR have a 19-39 record on clay this century. The other players to have won a singles Fed Cup match on clay (with number of wins) are

Anne Keothavong5
Elena Baltacha5
Louise Latimer2
Hannah Collin1
Heather Watson1
Jane Odonoghue1
Johanna Konta1
Julie Pullin1
Laura Robson1



Most of those wins came between 2000 and 2007 when our group stage matches were on clay in all but 2 years. Since then we have only played on clay in 2013, 2017, 2020 and today, all in 2 day ties. In each of those 2 day ties we have won 1 singles match, Laura and Jo as Gameover mentions, and also Heather in 2020.


 I had initially forgotten Heather in 2020 when she finished up playing a different opponent than originally anticipated. To be honest the earlier matches  prior to 2012 rather sink into the ether. Things got better when Judy Murray took over as captain and we got to the play off stages. 



__________________


Satellite level

Status: Offline
Posts: 1245
Date:

Steve J wrote:
indiana wrote:

As long as she is fit and well I think that still has to be Harriet.


If Raducanu loses match 3, play Dart in 4. If Raducanu wins match 3, I would decide who is going to play match 5 (Dart and Raducanu?) and then chose somebody else for match 4.


 Whoever plays  match 4 will be playing a live match. It would be throwing Sonay in the deep end if she has to win the match to save the tie. As for doubles has  Emma has  played doubles in  her senior career ? Katie has at least played doubles with Harriet in the past. Discussing singles selection reminds one of the 2018 tie against Japan where letting Gabi Taylor play  might have been a better idea and instead  saved Heather for the doubles. 



__________________


Strong Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 504
Date:

I don't know how fluid the 2nd day is wrt. player selection for the matches, but this is my thinking :

Match 4 is now the critical match of the tie, that's the one Raducanu has to contest, she's played and won in a pressure match like that one is going to be. Emma probably also could do with a bit more time to recover from her match today. A win in Match 4 gets the team into a doubles decider, at the very least.

Match 3 - a win would be a bonus, but it doesn't change anything.

The pressure will still be as great in Match 4, irrespective.

Annie K won't throw Sonay into the fray, not in her first BJK Cup tie, and not when there are more experienced players who have won more matches at a higher level. [Albeit our whole squad is lacking experience on the clay.]

Harriet could play, but I reckon it wouldn't be fair on her to shoulder the burden, if she suffers another defeat. After all, Harriet has been the star performer for team GB on more familiar surfaces over the last few Fed/BJK Cup ties.

Katie should contest match 3, there's only one way to get experience, and that's to play. It's now a young squad, and the youngsters must step up to the plate. Give it a go, stay calm, and stay in the rallies.

Harriet + Katie in the doubles for me. At that point either win or lose, no big deal as the team will have outperformed expectations going in to the tie.



__________________
«First  <  15 6 7 8 920  >  Last»  | Page of 20  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard