Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Jay Clarke


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 15114
Date:
RE: Jay Clarke


Priesty wrote:

If I've done my calculations correctly (of which I'm not certain) Jay's run to the Wimbledon FQR should put him up to the 330 mark. At just short of his 19th birthday how does this compare with Kyle's rankings trajectory?

Muzza at about 11 months older than Jay was 317 although this is probably equivalent to the 330s in today's game.


Kyle was very much the same.  On his 19th birthday, Kyle was ranked was actually ranked in the 370's but had been as high has 308 about 4 months earlier.  If I remember correctly, he had to take the last 3 months of the season off that year due to illness.  Kyle broke into the Top 300 for the 1st time about a 6 weeks after his 19th birthday, reaching 276.

Kyle joined the rankings at 17 years and 2 months.  Since then his annual birthday rankings have been

18 years : 571
19 years : 374
20 years : 191
21 years : 102
22 years :   45

Jay has shown so much promise, it would be great if he could match or even better that.



__________________


Futures qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 1534
Date:

Cheers Bob wink



__________________


Hall of fame

Status: Offline
Posts: 9477
Date:

Bob in Spain wrote:
Priesty wrote:

If I've done my calculations correctly (of which I'm not certain) Jay's run to the Wimbledon FQR should put him up to the 330 mark. At just short of his 19th birthday how does this compare with Kyle's rankings trajectory?

Muzza at about 11 months older than Jay was 317 although this is probably equivalent to the 330s in today's game.


Kyle was very much the same.  On his 19th birthday, Kyle was ranked was actually ranked in the 370's but had been as high has 308 about 4 months earlier.  If I remember correctly, he had to take the last 3 months of the season off that year due to illness.  Kyle broke into the Top 300 for the 1st time about a 6 weeks after his 19th birthday, reaching 276.

Kyle joined the rankings at 17 years and 2 months.  Since then his annual birthday rankings have been

18 years : 571
19 years : 374
20 years : 191
21 years : 102
22 years :   45

Jay has shown so much promise, it would be great if he could match or even better that.


 This just puts into context what a remarkable 12 months its been for Jay in terms of development of his game, and the work he's done off the court on his fitness etc., etc.,



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 31117
Date:

philwrig wrote:
Bob in Spain wrote:
Priesty wrote:

If I've done my calculations correctly (of which I'm not certain) Jay's run to the Wimbledon FQR should put him up to the 330 mark. At just short of his 19th birthday how does this compare with Kyle's rankings trajectory?

Muzza at about 11 months older than Jay was 317 although this is probably equivalent to the 330s in today's game.


Kyle was very much the same.  On his 19th birthday, Kyle was ranked was actually ranked in the 370's but had been as high has 308 about 4 months earlier.  If I remember correctly, he had to take the last 3 months of the season off that year due to illness.  Kyle broke into the Top 300 for the 1st time about a 6 weeks after his 19th birthday, reaching 276.

Kyle joined the rankings at 17 years and 2 months.  Since then his annual birthday rankings have been

18 years : 571
19 years : 374
20 years : 191
21 years : 102
22 years :   45

Jay has shown so much promise, it would be great if he could match or even better that.


 This just puts into context what a remarkable 12 months its been for Jay in terms of development of his game, and the work he's done off the court on his fitness etc., etc.,


 

Yes, on his 18th birthday last July Jay was ranked 1603 with a then CH 1446. So it has been a comparatively huge rise.

As well as Kyle and Jay, Evo was ranked close to top 300 by his 19th birthday, being then at a CH 316. However, even totally ignoring his current situation his general trajectory from then to the top 50 was shall we say up and down and not an ideal pathway compared to Kyle's.

To give Muzza his proper credit he was ranked 317 after his first Queen's a month after his 18th birthday, at 10 to 11 months YOUNGER ( probably what was meant ) than Jay is now and three weeks later was up to 213 after his first Wimbledon. By his 19th birthday he was ranked 46 with a CH 41, so he was at a very different place from the others at 19.

 



__________________


Grand Slam Champion

Status: Offline
Posts: 4751
Date:

Top 200 as a teenager would not be a bad place to be.



-- Edited by Oakland2002 on Wednesday 5th of July 2017 07:36:27 AM

__________________


Intermediate Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 336
Date:

Everyone takes their own path i dont think you could compare people to much. They mature and grow up at different ages. I think Jay is ticking along just fine

__________________


Futures qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 1534
Date:

indiana wrote:
philwrig wrote:
Bob in Spain wrote:
Priesty wrote:

If I've done my calculations correctly (of which I'm not certain) Jay's run to the Wimbledon FQR should put him up to the 330 mark. At just short of his 19th birthday how does this compare with Kyle's rankings trajectory?

Muzza at about 11 months older than Jay was 317 although this is probably equivalent to the 330s in today's game.


Kyle was very much the same.  On his 19th birthday, Kyle was ranked was actually ranked in the 370's but had been as high has 308 about 4 months earlier.  If I remember correctly, he had to take the last 3 months of the season off that year due to illness.  Kyle broke into the Top 300 for the 1st time about a 6 weeks after his 19th birthday, reaching 276.

Kyle joined the rankings at 17 years and 2 months.  Since then his annual birthday rankings have been

18 years : 571
19 years : 374
20 years : 191
21 years : 102
22 years :   45

Jay has shown so much promise, it would be great if he could match or even better that.


 This just puts into context what a remarkable 12 months its been for Jay in terms of development of his game, and the work he's done off the court on his fitness etc., etc.,


 

Yes, on his 18th birthday last July Jay was ranked 1603 with a then CH 1446. So it has been a comparatively huge rise.

As well as Kyle and Jay, Evo was ranked close to top 300 by his 19th birthday, being then at a CH 316. However, even totally ignoring his current situation his general trajectory from then to the top 50 was shall we say up and down and not an ideal pathway compared to Kyle's.

To give Muzza his proper credit he was ranked 317 after his first Queen's a month after his 18th birthday, at 10 to 11 months YOUNGER ( probably what was meant ) than Jay is now and three weeks later was up to 213 after his first Wimbledon. By his 19th birthday he was ranked 46 with a CH 41, so he was at a very different place from the others at 19.

 


Oops yes, that was what I meant hmm

 

interesting that Ofner, who squeaked past Jay in the FQR hammered Bellucci in his first round match. Looking forward to seeing how he fares against Jack Sock. 



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 34729
Date:

Priesty wrote:
interesting that Ofner, who squeaked past Jay in the FQR hammered Bellucci in his first round match. Looking forward to seeing how he fares against Jack Sock. 

Beat him in five.  wink 



__________________


Masters Series Champion

Status: Offline
Posts: 3685
Date:

Jay has been in Italy for a few weeks now, and is on the entry lists in Italy until at least week 34.

He seems to be doing pretty well there. Can anyone tell me if he has some Italian connection.

__________________

Face your fears........Live your dreams!



Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 34117
Date:

Congratulations to Jay, who has broken into the ATP singles top 300 today as expected - up 22 at 280.

Jay is exactly 7000 *days* old today and is 47 days younger than Tim Henman was when he broke into the top 300 and just 13 days older than Kyle was when he made it.

Greg Rusedski also made the top 300 at a younger age than Jay, as did (of the current GB players above him) Andy, Kyle (as mentioned above), Dan & Brydan, while Aljaz, Cam & Liam were all older than Jay is now when they made it..



__________________

GB on a shirt, Davis Cup still gleaming, 79 years of hurt, never stopped us dreaming ... 29/11/2015 that dream came true!

GB top 25s (ranks, whereabouts) & stats - http://www.britishtennis.net/stats.html



Masters Series Champion

Status: Offline
Posts: 3709
Date:

From instagram, Jay was practicing with Andy: "Always great to practice and learn from one of the best in the sport @andymurray #GettingBetter #TrustTheProcess #TeamC1arke"

Not sure if the get better hashtag relates to Andy or Jay though.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 31117
Date:

I would guess to Jay. Though hopefully Andy getting better too.

__________________


Masters Series Champion

Status: Offline
Posts: 3709
Date:

It's thanks to this forum (and partly Marcus at Wimbledon as well) that I heard of Jay. This year has sucked being an Andy fan and it's going to be pretty terrible when he stops playing but maybe, hopefully, possibly Jay could help fill that gap. He seems like a nice young man.

__________________


Strong Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 528
Date:

He is. And so is Cam. And when Kyle develops something that can more discernibly be called a personality, then we'll have the 3 of them.

__________________


Masters Series Champion

Status: Offline
Posts: 3709
Date:

Bit harsh on Kyle there - he seems quite shy and mild-mannered. Doesn't mean he has no personality.

__________________
«First  <  1 2 3 4 5 6 710  >  Last»  | Page of 10  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard