Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Week 39 - ITF M15 - Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt (hard)


ATP level

Status: Offline
Posts: 3089
Date:
RE: Week 39 - ITF M15 - Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt (hard)


Bob in Spain wrote:
Coup Droit wrote:

As people have said before though, it really does not seem completely fair that Freddie gets a LL spot when he retired in today's match....


If you retire from a match, it should be considered that you retired from the tournament.


 Technically isn't qualifying a separate tournament and not all retirements are due to injury, a fair few will be illness, maybe a stomach bug or in a Females case, her period. I don't want to see any athlete puking on the court just so they can potentially have the opportunity to grab a LL spot and a bit of desperately needed cash.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 51006
Date:

emmsie69 wrote:
Bob in Spain wrote:
Coup Droit wrote:

As people have said before though, it really does not seem completely fair that Freddie gets a LL spot when he retired in today's match....


If you retire from a match, it should be considered that you retired from the tournament.


 Technically isn't qualifying a separate tournament and not all retirements are due to injury, a fair few will be illness, maybe a stomach bug or in a Females case, her period. I don't want to see any athlete puking on the court just so they can potentially have the opportunity to grab a LL spot and a bit of desperately needed cash.


 Yes, there are both sides

Obviously the qualis and the main draw are not two different events - there's no 'winner' of the quali event, it's not listed as a separate event, qualis do not have a separate entry ID, there's no way they are different.

But, yes, you could still argue (as presumably the ITF/ATP etc do) that it's fine.

TBH, I don't have a particularly strong opinion about it.

I only put it up because we have had some VERY strong comments on this forum about foreign players who've done this. And it was only fair to highlight Freddie for doing the same.

Frankly, and possibly worse, I've no time for players like Freddie who retire with only one game to go

Obviously, if they fall over and break their leg, that's different

But if you're injured or feel cr*p, and you've managed to get to 5-1 in the second set, just let the next four points go, and you're done. 

To do that and THEN to also get a LL spot does stick in my craw a bit 



__________________


ATP level

Status: Offline
Posts: 3089
Date:

I hadn't seen the score. On the whole I don't have a massive issue with someone retiring then getting a LL spot but I agree that retiring when you're getting trounced for any other reason than actually injuring yourself at that point is not professional.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 50546
Date:

L32:  (6) Stuart Parker WR 745 defeated Andrea Bacaloni (ITA) WR 829 by 3 & 0



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 50546
Date:

L32:  (Q) David Quayle UNR defeated (LL) Freddie Ridout UNR by 4 & 3

*****

L16:  (Q) David Quayle UNR vs (6) Stuart Parker WR 745



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 50546
Date:

L32:  (5) Joshua Sheehy (USA) WR 717 defeated Adam Jones WR 1286 by 4 & 4



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 50546
Date:

L16:  (6) Stuart Parker WR 745 defeated (Q) David Quayle UNR by 6-4 7-6(4)

*****

QF:  (1) Sasikumar Mukund (IND) WR 426 (CH = 229 in October 2019) vs (6) Stuart Parker WR 745



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 51006
Date:

Nice win for Stuart, over the top seed, in two sets

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 50546
Date:

Coup Droit wrote:

Nice win for Stuart, over the top seed, in two sets


QF:  (6) Stuart Parker WR 745 defeated (1) Sasikumar Mukund (IND) WR 426 by 4 & 3  biggrin

*****

SF:  (6) Stuart Parker WR 745 vs Stylianos Christodoulou (CYP) WR 1199 (CH = 1100 last October)



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 16848
Date:

Stu has taken the first set.

I didn't realise how bad a season he has had. 3pts was his highest scorer this year prior to today.

__________________


Lower Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 155
Date:

paulisi wrote:

Stu has taken the first set.

I didn't realise how bad a season he has had. 3pts was his highest scorer this year prior to today.


 Dropping 400 places in the rankings was a clue



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 12827
Date:

SF: (6) Stuart Parker WR 745 defeated Stylianos Christodoulou (CYP) WR 1199 by 7-6(1) 4-6 6-2

****

Final: (6) Stuart Parker WR 745 vs (2) Mohamed Safwat (EGY) WR 464 (CH 130 in 2020)

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 16848
Date:

No joy for Stu, who lost in 3 sets

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 50546
Date:

Final:  (2) Mohamed Safwat (EGY) WR 464 defeated  (6) Stuart Parker WR 745 by 6-2 3-6 6-3  hmm



__________________
«First  <  1 2 | Page of 2  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard