Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Other events - week 45


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 38342
Date:
Other events - week 45


Turkey has a J4 event this week.

Derrick Chen has won his R1 match - go, Derrick! 

Luca McManus lost

 

In Singapore, J5, Aidan Bryne and Scarlett Perkins both lost in R1

 

The main GB interest, though, is in Cyprus, J4.

I'm excited to see how Hephzibah O will do - such a major fan of hers, and she's only just turned 13, birthday was ten days ago. But she hasn't been playing much recently although her colleagues in the academy have been so I figured she must have been injured.  

 

Victories in R1 for:

Roan Jones - excellent win over the 5th seed

Joel Pierleoni - just, 7-5 in the third

Harry Rock - in two

Hephzibah Oluwadare - 0&1

 

Losses for:

Tommy Harrison

Freddie Ridout

Flora Johnson

Imogen Haddad

 

 



-- Edited by Coup Droit on Wednesday 11th of November 2020 12:42:41 PM

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 38342
Date:

In the Cyprus J4 (Tx, LordB), its been a good morning for the boys.

R2 wins by Roan Jones and Joel Pierleoni in two sets. And a nice three set win by Harry Rock over the 8th seed.

Young Hephzibah still to play(against the 4th seed, a 16 year-old top-500 ITF junior player)



-- Edited by Coup Droit on Wednesday 11th of November 2020 12:45:58 PM

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 38342
Date:

SO close - she obviously had her real chance in the second and when she got pipped in the TB, the stronger more experienced girl was always the favourite.

But a very encouraging result all the same:

R2: (4) Luca Vocke (GER) JWR 480, age 16 def. Hephzibah Oluwadare (GBR) UNR age 13, born 2007 5-7 7-6(5) 6-2

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 38342
Date:

In Singapore J5, Scarlett Perkins+ are into the SF of the doubles.

A lot of our players won their R1 dubs in Cyprus (including Hep, and young Flora who is also born 2007).

Full results from Turkey not in yet.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 38342
Date:

In Singapore J5, Scarlett Perkins (age 15) and partner won their SF and are into the Final of the doubles.

Good luck to her.

In Turkey, Derrick Chen won his R2 match but then had to retire in his QF against the top seed. Hope he's OK.






__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 38342
Date:

All age 17, the GB boys going well in Cyprus, J4:

In the QFs, Harry Rock beat the No. 2 seed, in three sets.

Joel Pierleoni won his match too. As did Roan Jones.

SO in the semis, three out of four players are Brits, with Roan playing Joel. And Harry playing a local Cypriot lad, 7th seed.

Joel and Harry are also in the dubs SFs.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 14605
Date:

I know it's hard to compare but if you put j1 to j4 on a scale a la pro tennis how would it stand?

Slams aside?

J1 = Masters 1000?
J2 = atp 500
J3 = atp 250
J4 = Challenger
J5 = itf 15/25?

I guess that is too simplistic but in terms entry standard and prestige?

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 38342
Date:

David would probably be a better gauge of this but that sounds like a reasonable equivalence list although it might be a little generous - i.e. a J4 is pretty low, not sure it's quite challenger level, maybe you should split it so that:
J5 = 15k
J4 = 25k
J3 = challenger
J2 = atp 250 + 500
J1 = Masters.

(As you say, slams aside)



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 38342
Date:

Not a great day in Cyprus.

In the all-GB SF, it's Joel who came out victor.

Harry Rock lost his SF.

And Harry and Joel lost their dubs SF

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 38342
Date:

And Scarlett lost her doubles Final in Singapore too

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 14605
Date:

Coup Droit wrote:

David would probably be a better gauge of this but that sounds like a reasonable equivalence list although it might be a little generous - i.e. a J4 is pretty low, not sure it's quite challenger level, maybe you should split it so that:
J5 = 15k
J4 = 25k
J3 = challenger
J2 = atp 250 + 500
J1 = Masters.

(As you say, slams aside)


 Makes sense, just trying to get a sense for how the Junior game works structurally and what is important in the game!



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 38342
Date:

But better news this morning:

We have a winner



Larnaca, J4: Boys' Singles

FINAL: (6) Joel Pierleoni (GBR) def. (7) Pavlos Parson 6-2 6-1


(Pavlos Parson sounds like a lad with some Anglo-saxon ancestry, another half-British player, maybe?)

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 14605
Date:

Well done Joel!

__________________


ATP qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 2703
Date:

JonH comes home wrote:
Coup Droit wrote:

David would probably be a better gauge of this but that sounds like a reasonable equivalence list although it might be a little generous - i.e. a J4 is pretty low, not sure it's quite challenger level, maybe you should split it so that:
J5 = 15k
J4 = 25k
J3 = challenger
J2 = atp 250 + 500
J1 = Masters.

(As you say, slams aside)


 Makes sense, just trying to get a sense for how the Junior game works structurally and what is important in the game!


 Basically, there is very little difference in standard between grade 5 and grade 4 and you will find the same players in them.  Then there is quite a step up in standard to grade 3 and above.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 14605
Date:

The Optimist wrote:
JonH comes home wrote:
Coup Droit wrote:

David would probably be a better gauge of this but that sounds like a reasonable equivalence list although it might be a little generous - i.e. a J4 is pretty low, not sure it's quite challenger level, maybe you should split it so that:
J5 = 15k
J4 = 25k
J3 = challenger
J2 = atp 250 + 500
J1 = Masters.

(As you say, slams aside)


 Makes sense, just trying to get a sense for how the Junior game works structurally and what is important in the game!


 Basically, there is very little difference in standard between grade 5 and grade 4 and you will find the same players in them.  Then there is quite a step up in standard to grade 3 and above.


 Makes sense so CDs structure broadly works as a mapping.



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard