Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Entries Week 31 - 29/07/19


Hall of fame

Status: Offline
Posts: 8415
Date:
Entries Week 31 - 29/07/19


Heather tweeted that she is on her way to San Jose (bumped by British Airways due to overbooking)

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 34729
Date:

Madadman wrote:

Interesting that Jamie is playing with Andy. I wonder if Jamie and Neal is already over. If thats the case I wonder if Neal would play with Ken again or maybe Jamie Omara.


Who he?  confuse



__________________


Hall of fame

Status: Offline
Posts: 8415
Date:

Seen it reported that Heather is now one out from the main draw in San Jose

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 33058
Date:

So the Roehampton and WOking lists are finalised..

In Roehampton, the top 8 seeds are either British or French (with four each)

The five ITF-reserved places also have to 2xGB and 2xFR (and a rogue Lithuanian).

I hope the LTA have asked the FFT to cough up - we seem to be subsidising their event programme !

As a separate point, brilliant to see some 'obscure' names qualify for a place in the quali draw - Nadia Rawson, who's only played one event in the last 12 months gets her chance.....SO different from some of our previous 25ks which were stuffed out with high ranking players.

__________________


Hall of fame

Status: Offline
Posts: 8415
Date:

Add in the potential wildcards and there's a good GB turnout for both. The alt list for Woking is 24 GB and one GER. A few more outsiders in the Roehampton alts, but still 36/50.

__________________


Satellite level

Status: Offline
Posts: 1247
Date:

According to Wiki (yes, I know) Naomi is in doubles in Washington and is 2nd seed

__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6808
Date:

the addict wrote:

Seen it reported that Heather is now one out from the main draw in San Jose


Ostapenko has just withdrawn, so Hev is now in. I know there's a couple of bigger lead up events to come, as well as a WTA international running alongside it, but it is a bit strange seeing someone getting directly into a Premier event in the lead up to a slam with a ranking outside the top 120. Great for Heather though.



-- Edited by Ace Ventura on Friday 26th of July 2019 04:40:14 PM

__________________


Club Coach

Status: Offline
Posts: 602
Date:

Ace Ventura wrote:
the addict wrote:

Seen it reported that Heather is now one out from the main draw in San Jose


Ostapenko has just withdrawn, so Hev is now in. I know there's a couple of bigger lead up events to come, as well as a WTA international running alongside it, but it is a bit strange seeing someone getting directly into a Premier event in the lead up to a slam with a ranking outside the top 120. Great for Heather though.



-- Edited by Ace Ventura on Friday 26th of July 2019 04:40:14 PM

In some ways I would have preferred to see her play qualies as one of the top seeds, with a decent chance of picking up ranking points.

 



__________________
DF


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6562
Date:

Ace Ventura wrote:

Ostapenko has just withdrawn, so Hev is now in. I know there's a couple of bigger lead up events to come, as well as a WTA international running alongside it, but it is a bit strange seeing someone getting directly into a Premier event in the lead up to a slam with a ranking outside the top 120.





 Apparently Hev's ranking here is 108



__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6808
Date:

DF wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:

Ostapenko has just withdrawn, so Hev is now in. I know there's a couple of bigger lead up events to come, as well as a WTA international running alongside it, but it is a bit strange seeing someone getting directly into a Premier event in the lead up to a slam with a ranking outside the top 120.





 Apparently Hev's ranking here is 108


 http://www.tennisteen.it/entry-list/wta/23326-wta-entry-list-29-luglio-4-agosto-2019.html

I'm not sure, that site has her main draw entry down as 122, which I was referring to, but then 108 for quals.

102 Doi, Misaki (JPN)
119 Bouzkova, Marie (CZE)
122 Watson, Heather (GBR)
131 Hon, Priscilla (AUS)

https://twitter.com/WTAEntryList/status/1154806968395210752

That Twitter page which is usually spot on seems to think Hon is next in which would suggest they're using the 122 and 131 (Hon) rankings, and there usually is a 4 week cut off for entries, which would have been pre the McNally win, but either way, 122 or 108 is pretty low for a Premier entry, especially when you consider Konta wasn't in the initial list with an early 40's ranking for one of the 2 GB Premiers.

 



-- Edited by Ace Ventura on Friday 26th of July 2019 08:29:51 PM

__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6808
Date:

SuperT wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
the addict wrote:

Seen it reported that Heather is now one out from the main draw in San Jose


Ostapenko has just withdrawn, so Hev is now in. I know there's a couple of bigger lead up events to come, as well as a WTA international running alongside it, but it is a bit strange seeing someone getting directly into a Premier event in the lead up to a slam with a ranking outside the top 120. Great for Heather though.



-- Edited by Ace Ventura on Friday 26th of July 2019 04:40:14 PM

In some ways I would have preferred to see her play qualies as one of the top seeds, with a decent chance of picking up ranking points.

 


Yeah, I can definitely see that logic as the chances are if she is drawn against one of the higher ranked players then it will be a quick exit, and there's generally more chance of picking up win(s) and points in the quals as you say, but I still think I'd prefer to be in the main draw - an extra $5k just for showing up, and she could end up with a Q or MDWC and a decent chance for 55 points, plus she is in Toronto quals the following week where she will avoid more top end players, plus a W100 event in Vancouver the week after (where she did very well last year) which will be more her current level, so other chances to build confidence heading into USO quals, should she lose at the first hurdle in SJ.



__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6808
Date:

RedSquirrel wrote:

According to Wiki (yes, I know) Naomi is in doubles in Washington and is 2nd seed


She's also managed to sneak into Washy singles qualifying as well and plays Vickery.

Coco Gauff also got in.



-- Edited by Ace Ventura on Friday 26th of July 2019 10:22:34 PM

__________________


Masters Series Champion

Status: Offline
Posts: 3708
Date:

Ace Ventura wrote:
RedSquirrel wrote:

According to Wiki (yes, I know) Naomi is in doubles in Washington and is 2nd seed


She's also managed to sneak into Washy singles qualifying as well and plays Vickery.

Coco Gauff also got in.



-- Edited by Ace Ventura on Friday 26th of July 2019 10:22:34 PM


 a lot of hype about Coco getting in...



__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6808
Date:

flamingowings wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
RedSquirrel wrote:

According to Wiki (yes, I know) Naomi is in doubles in Washington and is 2nd seed


She's also managed to sneak into Washy singles qualifying as well and plays Vickery.

Coco Gauff also got in.



-- Edited by Ace Ventura on Friday 26th of July 2019 10:22:34 PM


 a lot of hype about Coco getting in...


 Yeah, the tournaments Twitter feed is about 90% Gauff, it's like the rest of the field doesn't exist. I was thinking quals might be tough since she just sneaked in, and then saw the draw and remembered it obviously uses the current (post Wimbledon) ranking not what she was 4 weeks ago, so she is Q1 seed and should have a relatively safe passage through.

To be fair, I'm really interested to see how she gets on and she will be a focal part of my viewing next week assuming she qualifies (unless she's always on around 1/2am UK, which I suspect she might), but there's so much attention on someone so young and there will be a lot of disappointment over there if she does lose to someone like Manasse.



__________________
DF


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6562
Date:

No sign of Emilie in Qualifying in Spain although she was down on the Acceptance list.

__________________
«First  <  1 2 3  >  Last»  | Page of 3  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard