Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: General football thread


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 39937
Date:
General football thread


seagull wrote:

4-1 over Luton. Could have been a lot more. Hit the post 3 times. Going to be a long old season for Luton.


 Yes, I got that impression after the Radio 5 Live commentary ream seemed to be being rather patronising to Luton in keeping talking them up and saying it was tough on them that it ended 4-1 before Alan Shearer came along, previewing MoTD, to basically say "not at all, it could have been a lot more and Luton played really naively".



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 13677
Date:

I cant deal with this VAR anymore. In injury time keeper cleans out Wolves player in the box after getting nowhere near the ball. No penalty. We get this s*** week in week out. And then our manager gets booked for showing frustrations. Brilliant. Had so many chances as well ffs.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 19269
Date:

wolf wrote:

I cant deal with this VAR anymore. In injury time keeper cleans out Wolves player in the box after getting nowhere near the ball. No penalty. We get this s*** week in week out. And then our manager gets booked for showing frustrations. Brilliant. Had so many chances as well ffs.


Definitely a penalty.

Just like this should have been last year. wink

https://twitter.com/leedsthat/status/1691311907687337984



__________________


Hall of fame

Status: Offline
Posts: 9090
Date:

wolf wrote:

I cant deal with this VAR anymore. In injury time keeper cleans out Wolves player in the box after getting nowhere near the ball. No penalty. We get this s*** week in week out. And then our manager gets booked for showing frustrations. Brilliant. Had so many chances as well ffs.


 I feel your pain.  Certain pen. What a surprise one of the big teams don't get punished.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 17226
Date:

The ball had gone, no goalscoring opportunity. The keeper's momentum fell into the player.

Would be harsh to give that as a pen

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 39937
Date:

Just saw it for the first time.

Not quite as outrageous as I had been expecting from all I'd heard before.

But it should still be a penalty. You can't be taking players out like that with out of control momentum. Any other player doing that anywhere else on the field and it's a foul and the ball having gone would not change that. 

Seems the ref chiefs think the same.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 13677
Date:

Yep, another apology. We for sure hold the record for the number of apologies given.

__________________
Var


County player

Status: Offline
Posts: 902
Date:

Brilliant Lionesses - 3-1. First England team in a World Cup since 1966! I think Serena should manage the men's team - she is a great tactician and puts the best team on the pitch. Well done.



__________________
VRoberts


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 38590
Date:

Well done Lionesses!! Great to see - bring on Spain!

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 38590
Date:

Sarina Wiegman of course is into her second straight final as a coach - in the last World Cup, she got Netherlands to the final. She also won the Euro's with NL before doing it with England in 2022. Let's hope we get the win in the final this time.

Far cry from Phil Neville, thankfully!

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 38590
Date:

Var wrote:

Brilliant Lionesses - 3-1. First England team in a World Cup since 1966! I think Serena should manage the men's team - she is a great tactician and puts the best team on the pitch. Well done.


 PS I am a big supporter of Gareth Southgate - I think what he has done with the culture, belief and man management is spot on and I dont think any other manager could have done that. His in game management is not so good, I agree, I would love for him to employ a number two to help/lead him on that side of the role. There is no shame in that. Whether he ever would , though, I doubt - it doesnt seem to be the done thing in football.     



__________________


Hall of fame

Status: Offline
Posts: 9090
Date:

wolf wrote:

Yep, another apology. We for sure hold the record for the number of apologies given.


 You dont - we had 3 last season



__________________
Var


County player

Status: Offline
Posts: 902
Date:

JonH comes home wrote:
Var wrote:

Brilliant Lionesses - 3-1. First England team in a World Cup since 1966! I think Serena should manage the men's team - she is a great tactician and puts the best team on the pitch. Well done.


 PS I am a big supporter of Gareth Southgate - I think what he has done with the culture, belief and man management is spot on and I dont think any other manager could have done that. His in game management is not so good, I agree, I would love for him to employ a number two to help/lead him on that side of the role. There is no shame in that. Whether he ever would , though, I doubt - it doesnt seem to be the done thing in football.     


That's my point, JonH. Sarina has done this more than once. Sarina would never be a number 2, though. Unfortunately, the men's team have made progress in Euros, but on the world stage, they lack that strategic vision Sarina has - but and it is a big but, the lionesses listen, they accept her decisions and rarely throw tantrums etc. That discipline is priceless? I think in the men's game, we have some of the best players if not all of the best players; they should have achieved much more... We could extend this to tennis - why so few women coaches..but that might be for another thread. Anyway, role on the final. Hope we have a Worls Cup to celebrate; willcertinly spur on the men's side I think..



__________________
VRoberts


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 39937
Date:

Err, well done to England. Generally quite fun to see the Aussies getting beaten at anything, anyway. May the Matildas have a nice final waltz in the 3rd place play-off.

So, assuming they keep to 3 at the back, it looks like one selection choice for Sunday - Ella Toone or the suspension free Lauren James?



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 38590
Date:

indiana wrote:

Err, well done to England. Generally quite fun to see the Aussies getting beaten at anything, anyway. May the Matildas have a nice final waltz in the 3rd place play-off.

So, assuming they keep to 3 at the back, it looks like one selection choice for Sunday - Ella Toone or the suspension free Lauren James?


 Toone for me. 



-- Edited by JonH comes home on Wednesday 16th of August 2023 11:10:49 PM

__________________
« First  <  Page 77  >   Last »  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard