Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Kyle Edmund


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 33392
Date:
RE: Kyle Edmund


Bob in Spain wrote:

Very interesting insight in an interview with Mike Dickson of the Daily Mail

www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-5036887/Kyle-Edmund-signs-multi-million-pound-Nike-sponsorship.html

Bang goes my earlier theory re an Evo/Hilts reunion.


 

Thanks, Bob. As you say, there's an interesting amount of self-awareness there with Kyle.

Strangely enough, it reminded me of Lindsay Davenport and interviews she gave, about how she found it difficult for quite a long time to be ruthless enough, was always 'too nice', and couldn't get 'energised' to really go for the result when it was close. But she sorted it out.....  

By the way, as mentioned previously a few months ago, I overheard Hilton being asked about who he was coaching, (by someone who had no idea), when the news about Evo had just come out, and although Hilts was very discrete in what he said, he certainly sounded rather bitter. Of course, that might have receded now but .... 



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 33392
Date:

So The Times tells us that Kyle has changed his residence to Nassau in the Bahamas for tax purposes.....

Hmm....

__________________


Grand Slam Champion

Status: Offline
Posts: 4791
Date:

But to be fair does he spend more than 30 days a year in the U.K.?

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 31420
Date:

Oakland2002 wrote:

But to be fair does he spend more than 30 days a year in the U.K.?


Whether or not he does is probably not the point of it being raised. I have little doubt that it's all legal.



__________________


Masters Series Champion

Status: Online
Posts: 3769
Date:

Well Andy and Jamie don't see the need to relocate their money to a tax haven. Or Bedene.

Time spent in UK - did Kyle play Eastbourne or Notts, Queens then Wimbledon? Would that be a month there?

Massive side eye from me (as do many other players and sportspeople who live in tax havens).

And sure it may be legal but it doesn't Make it right .
-- Edited by flamingowings on Saturday 9th of December 2017 02:37:49 AM



-- Edited by flamingowings on Saturday 9th of December 2017 02:38:53 AM

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 14647
Date:

Not right morally, but if Kyle is hardly in the UK then why not base himself in a warm weather country.
no income tax in Bahamas, 3.9% social security tax.

Lots of other UK sportsmen and business people do it - mainly in Switzerland or Monaco



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 31420
Date:

Hope he is spending next year much more counting his increasing ranking points than how many days he is in the UK.

"Not right morally ...  why not ... " ?  -  Hmm, maybe there's a reason there.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 15413
Date:

Is he still eligible for DC wink



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 31420
Date:

Bob in Spain wrote:

Is he still eligible for DC wink


 He'll be hoping we keep having away ties 



__________________


Futures level

Status: Offline
Posts: 1923
Date:

indiana wrote:

Hope he is spending next year much more counting his increasing ranking points than how many days he is in the UK.

"Not right morally ...  why not ... " ?  -  Hmm, maybe there's a reason there.


 To be raised in a country, receive help along the way which contributes to your success, but then to pay your tax to another country because its cheaper would qualify as a "moral" issue by most people I would have thought?



__________________

 



Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 31420
Date:

Shhh wrote:
indiana wrote:

Hope he is spending next year much more counting his increasing ranking points than how many days he is in the UK.

"Not right morally ...  why not ... " ?  -  Hmm, maybe there's a reason there.


 To be raised in a country, receive help along the way which contributes to your success, but then to pay your tax to another country because its cheaper would qualify as a "moral" issue by most people I would have thought?


Basically I was suggesting that paulisi's first 3 words were a reason why people would question his "why not" do it. Sorry to be unclear. You have enlarged on the "not right morally" bit.



__________________


Grand Slam Champion

Status: Offline
Posts: 4791
Date:

This is very challenging ground, I dont think Kyle has benefitted enormously from the British Tax payer. As a potential British Tennis star and role model he will undoubtedly contribute more to the British Tennis industry than he takes. If keeping our sports stars resident in the U.K. is important to government then taxation has to be appropriate perhaps around generous pension schemes .. the reality is he does very little of his business here and what he does he will be taxed on.

Personally I have more problems morally with people who buy head tennis equipment because of their unequivocal support for an athlete who had used a performance enhancing drug allegedly for an ailment for which it is not prescribed in her country of residence.

I also morally have a problem with youngsters who took enormous amount of support from British Tennis and then didnt give it their best by not getting into the best shape they could physically and mentally. Kyle continues to strive to do both.

Dont get me wrong I think it is fantastic that Jamie, Andy etc.. choose to live here, there are many great things about living in the U.K. it obviously suits them given the stage of life they are at. I would not live anywhere else, Ive tried but culturally given my interests its my choice and its worth every penny of tax I pay.

I would not judge others for making different choices as to where they live particularly when arguably its sub optimal to be as good as they can be at their job and lets reflect on some of the comments over the last 6 months; ultimately that is how almost everybody on this forum will judge them. 



-- Edited by Oakland2002 on Saturday 9th of December 2017 11:28:14 AM

__________________


Specialist Reporter + Intermediate Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 2133
Date:

Disgraceful.

Was never a big Kyle fan and certainly won't be after this. 



-- Edited by kundalini on Saturday 9th of December 2017 11:31:58 AM

__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 5683
Date:

I'm with Indiana on this - and I have been quite a considerable fan of Kyle Edmund, whom I admire as a dedicated and hard-working player. Moving residency to tax havens solely for tax purposes is a moral issue (some people come from tax havens initially or move to them for work, family reasons, etc, in which case there clearly isn't a moral issue ... all the best to Scott Clayton, Roger Federer, Heather Watson, and Stan Wawrinka!) So unless Mr Edmund has a Bahamian girlfriend (I have no idea whether he does or not) and even allowing for the fact that athletes are in an unusual situation in that they have to make the most of a relatively few years of high earnings, it feels very much open to question.

It's not for me about whether there was LTA funding or not, though I think there was quite a bit. When you live in a country, you enjoy its services: roads, healthcare, police, etc and share in those with the other residents. There may be issues with the services. You may not like the way in which resources are allocated. In which case, you can vote for people who would allocate them differently. But if everyone pulled out of paying taxes, there would be no services, and the social compact between citizens and government would collapse. And I don't think you can argue that someone's a role model if that is what they are modelling, however good their tennis may be or however good their sportsmanship on the court.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 33392
Date:

I don't approve or agree with Kyle.
From a practical point of view, I feel that you can't have a problem with 40% top rate tax - no one LIKES to pay tax but it's part of the contract with society, your civic duty, whatever, and 40% is well within the boundaries of acceptable.
Tsonga went off on a rant once about the French people not supporting him enough. And someone mentioned quietly 'yes, well, you do live, for tax, in Geneva now'. He exploded that it didn't make him less French. Which is true. But it does mean that he deliberately decided not to make his fiscal contributions to his country that he claimed should be backing him to the hilt.
I'm with the majority of those above.

Add: just crossed with Spec who puts it well.



-- Edited by Coup Droit on Saturday 9th of December 2017 12:30:03 PM

__________________
«First  <  1 2 3 4 519  >  Last»  | Page of 19  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard