Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: General election/politics


ATP level

Status: Offline
Posts: 3091
Date:
General election/politics


I live in the area, my Dad went to Reigate Grammar. There are Starmers still round here, one's a fruit loop.

__________________


Satellite level

Status: Offline
Posts: 1306
Date:

emmsie69 wrote:

There are Starmers still round here, one's a fruit loop.


 A phrase I havent heard for many years - is fruit loop still acceptable because of the derogatory view of mental illness it implies? 



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 18763
Date:

Both Johnson and Sunak have been fined by the Met Police for attending parties when under lock down rules.

Johnson has cleared lied again and again at the dispatch box which is a breach of the Ministerial Code and a resignation offence. He has to resign now.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 16852
Date:

He won't resign and there is not enough support from backbenchers to oust him at the moment.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 38860
Date:

There's missing the point and missing the point !!

Michael Fabricant MP has defended Johnson saying that it was not as if there were pole dancers at the parties.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 34280
Date:

There's a load of rubbish being spouted by some MPs and other Boris fanatics about it not being safe to change PMs during wartime. Which is clearly rubbish on many levels:

- we're not technically at war at the moment

- this 'logic' has not been followed (in opposite ways) in respect of two of the people idolised by many in Johnson's party
--- Churchill wouldn't have become PM in 1940 if they hadn't got rid of Chamberlain when we were actually at war and in danger of being invaded
--- Thatcher got ousted in the middle of the Gulf War

- times of high world tension are exactly when you most need leaders you can trust to do (more or less) the right thing
--- though I guess the problem with that argument is that all of the other contenders to be PM without another GE seem to be total incompetents, charlatans (or in most cases both) too

- it sounds as if they think/know they should really be recalling parliament at the moment over the possible use of chemical weapons in Ukraine but not aren't going to do so solely to protect BoJo and co from having to answer questions about breaking the law, lying to parliament, etc, which suggests that keeping Johnson as PM making government function ever worse than a discontinuity in leadership might

Also, they made Allegra Stratton resign just for joking about the possibility of parties, so that surely means they have to resign themselves for actually breaking the laws they themselves made. Oh wait, I forgot, she was 'just' a women/hired help/gullible enough to work for them so the same rules don't apply to the King of the World and co.

Hard to believe now that I used to be a floating voter who sometimes voted for the Conservatives, I know. In fact, I'm still a floating voter, I just don't float anywhere near the UKIP-in-all-but-name bunch of corrupt incompetents who have taken them over any more.

If Labour, the Lib Dems and the Greens don't co-operate at the next general election and this lot manage to get in again anyway, they'll be complicit in the country continuing to go to the dogs too.



__________________

GB on a shirt, Davis Cup still gleaming, 79 years of hurt, never stopped us dreaming ... 29/11/2015 that dream came true!

GB top 25s (ranks, whereabouts) & stats - http://www.britishtennis.net/stats.html



Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 34280
Date:

indiana wrote:

There's missing the point and missing the point !!

Michael Fabricant MP has defended Johnson saying that it was not as if there were pole dancers at the parties.


Oh for the "good" old days when that kind of thing (not during a pandemic) was the worst you could imagine them doing (though admittedly, it probably wasn't the worst a few of them actually did) and they did actually resign when they got caught for the most part. 

I'd better stop ranting now before I bore you all to death.



__________________

GB on a shirt, Davis Cup still gleaming, 79 years of hurt, never stopped us dreaming ... 29/11/2015 that dream came true!

GB top 25s (ranks, whereabouts) & stats - http://www.britishtennis.net/stats.html



Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 38860
Date:

steven wrote:

[...]

Hard to believe now that I used to be a floating voter who sometimes voted for the Conservatives, I know. In fact, I'm still a floating voter, I just don't float anywhere near the UKIP-in-all-but-name bunch of corrupt incompetents who have taken them over any more.

[...]


 That's me too.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 18763
Date:

steven wrote:


- it sounds as if they think/know they should really be recalling parliament at the moment over the possible use of chemical weapons in Ukraine but not aren't going to do so solely to protect BoJo and co from having to answer questions about breaking the law, lying to parliament, etc, which suggests that keeping Johnson as PM making government function ever worse than a discontinuity in leadership might



This is key for me and I also saw this on Sky News (Sam Coates).  Apparently there were serious discussions in cabinet about recalling parliament but that now it won't happen.

If you can't govern because you are too scared of personal ramifications, then you aren't fit to govern.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 18763
Date:

paulisi wrote:

He won't resign and there is not enough support from backbenchers to oust him at the moment.


Sadly, I think you are right on that one.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 18763
Date:

Another interesting interview with Sky News.

Interviewer: Do you think there will be any more fines coming your way ?

Boris Johnson: Well, if there are, I'm sure you will be the first to know.

So no denial there. I get the feeling there may well be more fines over the next few weeks.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 16852
Date:

Bob in Spain wrote:
paulisi wrote:

He won't resign and there is not enough support from backbenchers to oust him at the moment.


Sadly, I think you are right on that one.


 Boris has already stated he won't resign.

There are several MP's who wanted him to resign a while ago, but have now stated now is not the time.

I don't believe a vote of no confidence would pass.



__________________


Futures qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 1580
Date:

Who in the Conservative party would be any better than Mr Johnson? Who in either/ any of the opposition parties?

I dislike this man intensely, and disapprove of almost everything he has ever done, but none of the rest are any better: based on recent history any one that may appear better now will likely betray that trust as soon as it is bestowed upon them. Every single modern senior Conservative, Labour or Liberal politician appears to this cynic to be untrustworthy.

... and if some of the minority/ single issue/ independent politicians appear trustworthy they are the generally people with policies with which I disagree intensely (or in fact no policy at all about things that bother me, like war, famine, plague and pestilence)

__________________


ATP level

Status: Offline
Posts: 3091
Date:

christ wrote:

Who in the Conservative party would be any better than Mr Johnson? Who in either/ any of the opposition parties?

I dislike this man intensely, and disapprove of almost everything he has ever done, but none of the rest are any better: based on recent history any one that may appear better now will likely betray that trust as soon as it is bestowed upon them. Every single modern senior Conservative, Labour or Liberal politician appears to this cynic to be untrustworthy.

... and if some of the minority/ single issue/ independent politicians appear trustworthy they are the generally people with policies with which I disagree intensely (or in fact no policy at all about things that bother me, like war, famine, plague and pestilence)


 I'm in the same boat. As a woman I'm absolutely not going to vote for anyone that claims some women have penises and that's all but the Conservatives so it's a local issue independent, the Monster Raving Loony party or a spoiled ballot.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 38860
Date:

christ wrote:

Who in the Conservative party would be any better than Mr Johnson? Who in either/ any of the opposition parties?

I dislike this man intensely, and disapprove of almost everything he has ever done, but none of the rest are any better: based on recent history any one that may appear better now will likely betray that trust as soon as it is bestowed upon them. Every single modern senior Conservative, Labour or Liberal politician appears to this cynic to be untrustworthy.

... and if some of the minority/ single issue/ independent politicians appear trustworthy they are the generally people with policies with which I disagree intensely (or in fact no policy at all about things that bother me, like war, famine, plague and pestilence)


 Though Johnson is one who surely had displayed just how untrustworthy he was long before he became PM?! While I understand cynicism, he is right out there.

There are good much more trustworthy politicians around. But whether that helps them ascend the greasy pole into positions of power and influence is debatable 



__________________
«First  <  1 2 3 4 5 6 727  >  Last»  | Page of 27  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard