Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Week 38 - WTA1000 – Guadalajara, Mexico - Hard


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 20764
Date:
Week 38 - WTA1000 – Guadalajara, Mexico - Hard


R1:- Alicia Barnett (GBR) / Olivia Nicholls (GBR) CR193 (95+98) v Ons Jabeur (TUN) / Peyton Stearns (USA) CR1487 (1316+171) (7+44 singles)

$7,900 for turning up, $11,850 and 105 points for a win



-- Edited by the addict on Sunday 17th of September 2023 06:23:28 AM

__________________


Improver

Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Date:

Alicia Barnett (GBR) / Olivia Nicholls (GBR) CR193 (95+98) LOST TO Ons Jabeur (TUN) / Peyton Stearns (USA) CR1487 (1316+171)   3-6 2-6

Perhaps it was closer than it looks by the scoreline - total points were split 45/52 though break points were 2 from 4 and 6 from 12 respectively



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 37375
Date:

Interesting seeing how this event has played through - the field was weak anyway for a 1000 level event, the 16th seed was Pliskova at WR mid 30's, usually the 16th seed would be around 20 or so...

And a lot of players fell early leaving Sakkari, Garcia, Kenin and Dolehide in the semis.

Sakkari and Garcia are two players with a sort of chance of reaching the Tour finals - Garcia less so, but Sakkari can put herself right back in the mix and , if she wins this week, rise to 9th place in the standings from a long way back (below 20? I would have to check, but a long way back).

If Sakkari can beat Garcia tonight and then her American finals opponent she will be right in it for qualifying and have taken advantage of the weak field and the other top players falling early.

Good for her and some others may kick themselves!

As a PS, 4 of the 8 WTA Finals field is fixed it seems, 4 places up for grabs. Todays Live Tennis analysis shows those still in the Race running - in total 31 players still mathematically can qualify for Cancun (no Brits) so those 4 other places are between 27 players. That will reduce as this weekend completes and then each week drop dramatically with Beijing being the big week that will most likely decide it all.

__________________


Satellite level

Status: Offline
Posts: 1215
Date:

I think Sakkari was 16th in the standings and is currently live-ranked at 13th having reached the semi-finals. 

Garcia was 26th and is live-ranked 19th. If she wins the tournament she will overtake Sakkari at 13th.

Pegula is only just over 300 points from making the finals. Barring injury, she should definitely make it, leaving only three places for all the others to chase. 



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 37375
Date:

Babfive wrote:

I think Sakkari was 16th in the standings and is currently live-ranked at 13th having reached the semi-finals. 

Garcia was 26th and is live-ranked 19th. If she wins the tournament she will overtake Sakkari at 13th.

Pegula is only just over 300 points from making the finals. Barring injury, she should definitely make it, leaving only three places for all the others to chase. 


 Cool - but the big points in terms of ranking progress come in the next two matches and Sakkari will land in 9th with a win and 1000 points. Ditto, as you point out, Garcia will overtake her (and they play each other tonight). I guess my point is they can take advantage of the weaker field this week and really make some progress if they get to the end of the week and get the title. Ditto, Kenin and Dolehide can make rankings progress as well, for Dolehide it will presumably be a massive jump. 



__________________


Satellite level

Status: Online
Posts: 1214
Date:

JonH comes home wrote:
Babfive wrote:

I think Sakkari was 16th in the standings and is currently live-ranked at 13th having reached the semi-finals. 

Garcia was 26th and is live-ranked 19th. If she wins the tournament she will overtake Sakkari at 13th.

Pegula is only just over 300 points from making the finals. Barring injury, she should definitely make it, leaving only three places for all the others to chase. 


 Cool - but the big points in terms of ranking progress come in the next two matches and Sakkari will land in 9th with a win and 1000 points. Ditto, as you point out, Garcia will overtake her (and they play each other tonight). I guess my point is they can take advantage of the weaker field this week and really make some progress if they get to the end of the week and get the title. Ditto, Kenin and Dolehide can make rankings progress as well, for Dolehide it will presumably be a massive jump. 


 Final is between Dolehide and Sakkari. I think Tom Hill is still coaching Sakkari.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 37375
Date:

Sakkari into 10th in the race now, another win tonight and 9th. And there are still around 30 players alive in the race over the next few weeks in Asia so lots to play for.

__________________


Satellite level

Status: Online
Posts: 1214
Date:

Maria Sakkari won her first WTA singles title since beating Jo Konta at Rabat in May 2019. Still has her British coach Tom Hill as then.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 37375
Date:

I hadnt paid much attention but the autumn European indoor season in the WTA is no more. Events like Moscow, Zurich, Filderstadt have all gone. Moscow May have other reasons, obviously, but no indoor events is a shame. Id not spotted this til just now.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 20764
Date:

JonH comes home wrote:

I hadnt paid much attention but the autumn European indoor season in the WTA is no more. Events like Moscow, Zurich, Filderstadt have all gone. Moscow May have other reasons, obviously, but no indoor events is a shame. Id not spotted this til just now.


 Yes, those events have all gone. Only WTA125 events on the calendar following the Asian swing.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 37375
Date:

the addict wrote:
JonH comes home wrote:

I hadnt paid much attention but the autumn European indoor season in the WTA is no more. Events like Moscow, Zurich, Filderstadt have all gone. Moscow May have other reasons, obviously, but no indoor events is a shame. Id not spotted this til just now.


 Yes, those events have all gone. Only WTA125 events on the calendar following the Asian swing.


 From what I can see the wta has Lyon and Linz indoor in February, Stuttgart in april on indoor clay, and the upcoming event in Cluj, Romania. Just 4 indoor events. Not many years back it would have been 4 to 6 in the February to March period and similar in October and November. 



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 37375
Date:

JonH comes home wrote:
the addict wrote:
JonH comes home wrote:

I hadnt paid much attention but the autumn European indoor season in the WTA is no more. Events like Moscow, Zurich, Filderstadt have all gone. Moscow May have other reasons, obviously, but no indoor events is a shame. Id not spotted this til just now.


 Yes, those events have all gone. Only WTA125 events on the calendar following the Asian swing.


 From what I can see the wta has Lyon and Linz indoor in February, Stuttgart in april on indoor clay, and the upcoming event in Cluj, Romania. Just 4 indoor events. Not many years back it would have been 4 to 6 in the February to March period and similar in October and November. 


 The mens tour has 15 including the tour finals and next gen being indoor (in Saudi) including a couple of the Asian swing events. 



__________________


Intermediate Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 358
Date:

There was Luxembourg too which Anne K did well at a couple of times

__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard