Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: US College Signings and General College Chat 2023/24


Futures qualifying

Status: Online
Posts: 1749
Date:
RE: US College Signings 2023/24


This week is the turn of the men in the Team Indoor Championships. These started yesterday and continue until Monday.

British interest is led by the 2nd seeded team of TCU with #62 ranked Jake Fearnley, #4 ranked Jack Pinnington Jones and Lui Maxted (#59 ranked singles/#20 ranked doubles). TCU won their first round tie against Arizona State easily 4-0 with doubles wins from Jake & Jack and Lui to win the doubles point. Lui is unbeaten in his 5 dual doubles this season. In singles, Jake was leading against #10 ranked Murphy Cassone 7-6(3) 6-5 when the tie was won, Jack had just started a deciding set and Lui won. It was the first time this season that the tie was decided before Jake had finished his match. TCU play Texas A&M in the quarters at 5pm (GMT) this evening. TCU are on a winning streak of 10 Team Indoor Championship matches and 32 indoor duals.

Jo Monday's Tennessee also won easily against Oscar Weightman's USC. JoMo, #9 ranked in singles and doubles, won his doubles and singles easily. Oscar didn't finish either his doubles or singles, but was up 6-4 5-3 against his #66 ranked opponent when the tie was decided. Tennessee (seeded 5th) play 4th seeds Virginia in the QF at 4pm GMT.

Roan Jones (Alabama) lost his doubles and singles as Alabama went down to Ohio State

Luca Pow (Wake Forest) won his doubles and singles, contributing to his Wake Forest's win over Michigan. 6th seeds Wake Forest play 14th seeds Arizona in the QF at 11.30pm GMT. Arizona defeated 3rd seeds Texas in the opening round.

Live streams and live scores available here

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 52331
Date:

Sorry, Roan !

(I put up all the other results but didn't see his name - apologies to the boy )

__________________


Futures qualifying

Status: Online
Posts: 1749
Date:

TCU and Wake Forest came through their QFs and will play each other in the SFs this evening at 8.30pm GMT. TCU must be heavy favourites for their 3rd consecutive final.

Unless positions change Luca should play Lui in the doubles but will avoid Jake, Jack and Lui in the singles.

I hadn't realised until Jake was interviewed yesterday, that his match on Friday was abandoned when he was on match point. He was 'heated', as he put it, as the win against the #10 ranked opponent would have helped his ranking that is low because he didn't play during the Fall season.

JoMo lost his singles against his #19 ranked opponent as Tennessee went down 5-1 to Virginia.

Mark Hilton is in attendance as part of the LTA's NCAA Support Programme.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 35545
Date:

Lambda wrote:

TCU and Wake Forest came through their QFs and will play each other in the SFs this evening at 8.30pm GMT. TCU must be heavy favourites for their 3rd consecutive final.

Unless positions change Luca should play Lui in the doubles but will avoid Jake, Jack and Lui in the singles.

I hadn't realised until Jake was interviewed yesterday, that his match on Friday was abandoned when he was on match point. He was 'heated', as he put it, as the win against the #10 ranked opponent would have helped his ranking that is low because he didn't play during the Fall season.

JoMo lost his singles against his #19 ranked opponent as Tennessee went down 5-1 to Virginia.

Mark Hilton is in attendance as part of the LTA's NCAA Support Programme.


 The whole process of abandoning matches when the team gets over the line seems strange - I get why they do it, why finish of the match is over; but leaving someone on match point seems unfortunate. 



__________________


Satellite level

Status: Offline
Posts: 1352
Date:

JonH comes home wrote:
Lambda wrote:

TCU and Wake Forest came through their QFs and will play each other in the SFs this evening at 8.30pm GMT. TCU must be heavy favourites for their 3rd consecutive final.

Unless positions change Luca should play Lui in the doubles but will avoid Jake, Jack and Lui in the singles.

I hadn't realised until Jake was interviewed yesterday, that his match on Friday was abandoned when he was on match point. He was 'heated', as he put it, as the win against the #10 ranked opponent would have helped his ranking that is low because he didn't play during the Fall season.

JoMo lost his singles against his #19 ranked opponent as Tennessee went down 5-1 to Virginia.

Mark Hilton is in attendance as part of the LTA's NCAA Support Programme.


 The whole process of abandoning matches when the team gets over the line seems strange - I get why they do it, why finish of the match is over; but leaving someone on match point seems unfortunate. 


Because its all about the clinch - also if one were being sceptical, avoids their player having a loss against Jake, a lower ranked player hmm It happens all the time 

 

 



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 35545
Date:

Elegant Point wrote:
JonH comes home wrote:
Lambda wrote:

TCU and Wake Forest came through their QFs and will play each other in the SFs this evening at 8.30pm GMT. TCU must be heavy favourites for their 3rd consecutive final.

Unless positions change Luca should play Lui in the doubles but will avoid Jake, Jack and Lui in the singles.

I hadn't realised until Jake was interviewed yesterday, that his match on Friday was abandoned when he was on match point. He was 'heated', as he put it, as the win against the #10 ranked opponent would have helped his ranking that is low because he didn't play during the Fall season.

JoMo lost his singles against his #19 ranked opponent as Tennessee went down 5-1 to Virginia.

Mark Hilton is in attendance as part of the LTA's NCAA Support Programme.


 The whole process of abandoning matches when the team gets over the line seems strange - I get why they do it, why finish of the match is over; but leaving someone on match point seems unfortunate. 


Because its all about the clinch - also if one were being sceptical, avoids their player having a loss against Jake, a lower ranked player hmm It happens all the time 

 

 


 Maybe the player leading at the time of the close should get called the winner for ranking purposes , say if they are a set up?! 



__________________


Junior player

Status: Offline
Posts: 87
Date:

JonH comes home wrote:
Elegant Point wrote:
JonH comes home wrote:
Lambda wrote:

TCU and Wake Forest came through their QFs and will play each other in the SFs this evening at 8.30pm GMT. TCU must be heavy favourites for their 3rd consecutive final.

Unless positions change Luca should play Lui in the doubles but will avoid Jake, Jack and Lui in the singles.

I hadn't realised until Jake was interviewed yesterday, that his match on Friday was abandoned when he was on match point. He was 'heated', as he put it, as the win against the #10 ranked opponent would have helped his ranking that is low because he didn't play during the Fall season.

JoMo lost his singles against his #19 ranked opponent as Tennessee went down 5-1 to Virginia.

Mark Hilton is in attendance as part of the LTA's NCAA Support Programme.


 The whole process of abandoning matches when the team gets over the line seems strange - I get why they do it, why finish of the match is over; but leaving someone on match point seems unfortunate. 


Because its all about the clinch - also if one were being sceptical, avoids their player having a loss against Jake, a lower ranked player hmm It happens all the time 

 

 


 Maybe the player leading at the time of the close should get called the winner for ranking purposes , say if they are a set up?! 


 So if a player is up 1-0 3rd set they win ? Doesnt seem right to me. Would have to be up by 2 games or more. But good idea in principle 



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 35545
Date:

Dannythomas wrote:
JonH comes home wrote:
Elegant Point wrote:
JonH comes home wrote:
Lambda wrote:

TCU and Wake Forest came through their QFs and will play each other in the SFs this evening at 8.30pm GMT. TCU must be heavy favourites for their 3rd consecutive final.

Unless positions change Luca should play Lui in the doubles but will avoid Jake, Jack and Lui in the singles.

I hadn't realised until Jake was interviewed yesterday, that his match on Friday was abandoned when he was on match point. He was 'heated', as he put it, as the win against the #10 ranked opponent would have helped his ranking that is low because he didn't play during the Fall season.

JoMo lost his singles against his #19 ranked opponent as Tennessee went down 5-1 to Virginia.

Mark Hilton is in attendance as part of the LTA's NCAA Support Programme.


 The whole process of abandoning matches when the team gets over the line seems strange - I get why they do it, why finish of the match is over; but leaving someone on match point seems unfortunate. 


Because its all about the clinch - also if one were being sceptical, avoids their player having a loss against Jake, a lower ranked player hmm It happens all the time 

 

 


 Maybe the player leading at the time of the close should get called the winner for ranking purposes , say if they are a set up?! 


 So if a player is up 1-0 3rd set they win ? Doesnt seem right to me. Would have to be up by 2 games or more. But good idea in principle 


 I'm sure it is very flawed!! But I guess there must be some method better than calling it a halt and no one getting any credit!!??



__________________


Futures qualifying

Status: Online
Posts: 1749
Date:

Jake Fearnley's outstanding performance defeating Cannon Kingsley (ATP405) by 1 & 0 and JPJ defeating Justin Boulais (ATP445) 4 & 4 couldn't save TCU from losing the final to Ohio State 3 - 4. It was a bad day for Lui Maxted as he lost both his doubles and singles, his first singles loss of the dual season.

__________________


Satellite level

Status: Offline
Posts: 1352
Date:

Whos hot and whos not? ITA Mens team rankings Feb 2024

Some stand outs in the mens rankings:

Higher than expected/usual
4 Columbia
9 Arizona
28 Vanderbilt

32 Denver (Charlie Miller, Raffa Papajcik) DENVER The University of Denver men's tennis team (8-0, 0-0 Summit) made its season debut at No. 28 in the ITA Computerized Rankings sponsored by Tennis-Point, released on Tuesday. It is Denver's highest team ITA ranking since the 2010 season when DU appeared as high as No. 25. https://denverpioneers.com/news/2024/2/20/du-mens-tennis-enters-ita-rankings-at-no-32.aspx

45 Delaware ( Toby Lock, Euan Mackenzie and walk on James Salter) The Blue & Gold are the only team ranked in the CAA and check in ahead of Power 5 programs like LSU, Auburn, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Miami, Florida, and Clemson to name a few. https://bluehens.com/news/2024/2/20/mens-tennis-mens-tennis-lands-in-ita-national-rankings-for-first-time-ever 

66 Stetson
72 Idaho State

Lower than expected/usual
10 Texas
15 South Carolina (Connor T, James S, Toby S)
25 Michigan
29 USC
37 UNC
39 Georgia
67 Florida
Unranked Cal
Unranked Texas Tech
Unranked Ole Miss

colleges.wearecollegetennis.com/rankings



-- Edited by Elegant Point on Sunday 25th of February 2024 04:53:44 PM

__________________


Satellite level

Status: Offline
Posts: 1352
Date:

Who says college tennis is predictable?  - #32 Uni Delaware ( Toby Lock, Euan Mackenzie ) tops #33 Stanford (Max Basing, Arthur Fery on the roster but not playing) in the ITA rankings plus the Blue Hens are ahead of several of the Power houses smile  

https://bluehens.com/news/2024/2/27/mens-tennis-mens-tennis-up-to-no-32-in-latest-ita-national-rankings

https://colleges.wearecollegetennis.com/rankings?gender=M&divisionType=DIV1&matchFormat=TEAM&date=2024-02-27



__________________


Futures qualifying

Status: Online
Posts: 1749
Date:

The ITA have announced the National Team Indoor Championship All-Tournament Teams that were nominated by participating head coaches. In the men's team Jake Fearnley and Jack Pinnington Jones are named are #1 and #2 positions in singles with Jo Monday & partner at #1 position in doubles. In the women's team Millie Rajecki is named at the #1 position.

__________________


Futures qualifying

Status: Online
Posts: 1749
Date:

Season win/loss of selected women

Singles
ITA ranked players
3 Millie Rajecki (NC State) - 18-4 (8-1 in dual season at #1). Has 90 career wins and joint 4th in Wolfpack programme history for wins.
43 Grace Piper (USC) - 16-4 (8-0 in dual season at #3 (1 win), #4 (4 wins) and #5 (3 wins))
45 Angelica Blake (Stanford) - 4-3 (3-2 in dual season at #1)
52 Vic Allen (Florida State) - 12-5 (4-3 dual at #1 (2-3), #2 (1-0) and #3 (1-0))
116 Destinee Martins (TCU) - 10-8 (3-1 dual at #3 (1-1), #4 (1-0) and #5 (1-0))

Other selected
Millie Bissett (Florida State) - 7-6 (4-2 dual)
Kylie Bilchev (Georgia Tech) - 9-12 (2-6 dual at #2)
Given Roach (Georgia Tech) - 5-11 (1-4 dual at #4 (1-3) and #5 (0-1))
Holly Fischer (Harvard) - 9-3 (4-3 dual at #1 (3-2) and #2 (1-1))
Morgan Cross (Arkansas) - 7-5 (2-2 dual at #4 (2-0) and #5 (0-2))
Indianna Spink (Arkansas) - 6-5 (1-2 dual at #2 (1-0) and #3 (0-2))
Alicia Dudeney (Florida) - 4-4 (4-4 dual at #4 (2-3), #5 (0-1) and #6 (2-0))
Esther Adeshina (Tennessee) 4-1 (4-1 dual at #5 (3-0) and #6 (1-1))
Holly Staff (Vanderbilt) - 19-6 (5-2 dual at #3 (1-0), #4 (1-0) and #5 (3-2))
Sophia Johnson (ODU) - 4-1 dual at #1


Doubles
ITA Ranked
13 Millie Rajecki (with Maddy Zampardo) NC State - 15-5 (7-2 in dual at #1 (0-1) and #2 (7-1))
21 Esther Adeshina (with Sofia Cabezas) Tennessee - 11-5 (0 in dual - Esther plays with Alana Wolfberg in dual season with a 5-2 record)
25 Morgan Cross & Indiannia Spink Arkansas - 11-3 (4-0 in dual at #1 including 2 top 10 wins) Indiannia has been injured since the end of January and Morgan is playing with a different partner with a 5-1 record at #1
29 Grace Piper (with Parker Fry) - 15-7 (5-4 in dual at #2 and #3)
46 Angelina Blake (with Alexis Blokihina) 2-4 (1-3 dual)
59 Holly Staff (with Valeria Ray) 8-6 (0 in dual)



__________________


Junior player

Status: Offline
Posts: 87
Date:

And here are the new top 10 womens division 1 team rankings

1. Oklahoma State
2. Stanford
3. Michigan
4. UNC
5. Virginia
6. Texas
7. Pepperdine
8. Southern California
9. Ohio State
10. NC State

As outlined by Lambda NC State has Millie at #1, Stanford has Angelica at #1 . Millie having a phenomenal start to the season while Angelica seems to finally be injury free getting her season going with a few high ranked wins. 

Playing position 1 for top ranked colleges means a string of tough opponents so hopefully they can keep it going ! 



-- Edited by Dannythomas on Thursday 29th of February 2024 01:17:50 PM



-- Edited by Dannythomas on Friday 1st of March 2024 08:37:50 AM



-- Edited by Dannythomas on Friday 1st of March 2024 09:07:07 AM

__________________


Futures level

Status: Offline
Posts: 1847
Date:

Interested to see how Holly Fischer gets on in college tennis. She was obviously very highly regarded with Emma before focusing on modeling for her latter junior career. Seems now she's refocused on tennis, at least during college.

__________________
«First  <  18 9 10 11 1214  >  Last»  | Page of 14  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard