Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Greatest Players of All Time - according to Tennis Abstract


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 34608
Date:
Greatest Players of All Time - according to Tennis Abstract


Another 1920/30's player, Vinnie Richards, at 104

www.tennisabstract.com/blog/2022/03/31/the-tennis-128-no-104-vinnie-richards/

There seem to be a lot of 1920/30/40's players in this list so far.



-- Edited by JonH comes home on Thursday 31st of March 2022 10:54:58 AM

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 34608
Date:

Number 103 is Tony Roche

www.tennisabstract.com/blog/2022/04/02/the-tennis-128-no-103-tony-roche/

With John Newcombe one of the great doubles players. I remember seeing him play at Queens one year , 1978, and schooling a young John McEnroe 8-6 9-7 in the final.

__________________


Pro player

Status: Offline
Posts: 1154
Date:

JonH comes home wrote:

Number 103 is Tony Roche

www.tennisabstract.com/blog/2022/04/02/the-tennis-128-no-103-tony-roche/

With John Newcombe one of the great doubles players. I remember seeing him play at Queens one year , 1978, and schooling a young John McEnroe 8-6 9-7 in the final.


 He was Rod Laver's opponent in the 1969 US Open when Laver completed the calendar Grand Slam. 



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 34608
Date:

At 102 , we are back in the 1930's and a Polish player I confess to have never heard of at all

www.tennisabstract.com/blog/2022/04/05/the-tennis-128-no-102-jadwiga-jedrzejowska/



__________________


Pro player

Status: Offline
Posts: 1154
Date:

JonH comes home wrote:

At 102 , we are back in the 1930's and a Polish player I confess to have never heard of at all

www.tennisabstract.com/blog/2022/04/05/the-tennis-128-no-102-jadwiga-jedrzejowska/


 From a totally  different era  but still  holds the record for Poland of reaching 3 Grand Slam singles finals. (maybe Iga Swiatek will play in more)She was runner up in singles at   Wimbledon and US 1937 and the French of 1939. The Wimbledon final must have been close because she only lost 7-5 in the third set to  Dorothy  Round. 



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 34608
Date:

Well, the most current name so far, at 101 it is recently retired Ash Barty!

www.tennisabstract.com/blog/2022/04/07/the-tennis-128-no-101-ashleigh-barty/

Top 100 will start this weekend as I understand it!

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 34608
Date:

JonH comes home wrote:

Well, the most current name so far, at 101 it is recently retired Ash Barty!

www.tennisabstract.com/blog/2022/04/07/the-tennis-128-no-101-ashleigh-barty/

Top 100 will start this weekend as I understand it!


 Wondered what folks think of this position for Ash? There are 51 women players with 3 or more slams so in a mens and womens list , top 102 based on slams alone would make sense. But there are 39 with 4 wins , so maybe a slams list would place her between 80 and 100? Perhaps she is slightly under ranked by TA? 



__________________


Pro player

Status: Offline
Posts: 1154
Date:

JonH comes home wrote:
JonH comes home wrote:

Well, the most current name so far, at 101 it is recently retired Ash Barty!

www.tennisabstract.com/blog/2022/04/07/the-tennis-128-no-101-ashleigh-barty/

Top 100 will start this weekend as I understand it!


 Wondered what folks think of this position for Ash? There are 51 women players with 3 or more slams so in a mens and womens list , top 102 based on slams alone would make sense. But there are 39 with 4 wins , so maybe a slams list would place her between 80 and 100? Perhaps she is slightly under ranked by TA? 


 Let's see  which of recent/current players ranks above her. If only she'd won the US Open she'd be in that small group of players who had won all four Grand Slams. The last woman to achieve this was Maria Sharapova. 



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 39185
Date:

Tennisabstract is clearly looking at much more than just the Slams. But more ELO ratings and some of it is her ELO rating over an extended term where the stop/start nature of Ash's career and eventually limited career maybe hasn't helped



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 34608
Date:

indiana wrote:

Tennisabstract is clearly looking at much more than just the Slams. But more ELO ratings and some of it is her ELO rating over an extended term where the stop/start nature of Ash's career and eventually limited career maybe hasn't helped


 I agree, and it is also performance relative to her peers that counts - in the write up Tennis Abstract comments that they assume all eras in essence are of the same quality in general terms; yes, players get better as training and tech improves, era by era, but the essence is that given all the same conditions, then players would generally be the same over time. The ELO rating uses every single head to head and tournament performance over each week, month to then compare individual players within that broad assumption. 

Our instinct is to assume the current era is the best as, well, it must be - the players are stronger and fitter and you just have to see old videos to see how they have improved. But TA's ELO method effectively picks up Bill Tilden from the 20's and 30's, gives them proper training and a nice carbon graphite racquet and says they are all equal to Pete Sampras in conditions, now let's let results work out who is actually the best.

But is interesting to see how it compares with our usual method of working it out , which is basically to tot up the slams and go from there. As it happens, Ash is in the right ballpark, just at the lower end of the range compared to where she might be with just slams being counted.     



__________________


Pro player

Status: Offline
Posts: 1154
Date:

Jon

Dorothy Round is the next one on the  list. Winner of 2 Wimbledon Championships and 1 Australian championship in the 1930's. Born in Dudley was also the birthplace of footballer Duncan Edwards.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 34608
Date:

GAMEOVER wrote:

Jon

Dorothy Round is the next one on the  list. Winner of 2 Wimbledon Championships and 1 Australian championship in the 1930's. Born in Dudley was also the birthplace of footballer Duncan Edwards.


 Yes, first player named in the top 100 is a Brit! 



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 34608
Date:

www.tennisabstract.com/blog/2022/04/09/the-tennis-128-no-100-dorothy-round/

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 34608
Date:

I think we will see Ann Jones and Virginia Wade on this list soon, plus Fred Perry and Andy Murray. Suspect Perry will be highest, then Andy , not sure of Ann or Ginny for our top lady, probably Ann Jones would be top lady . 



-- Edited by JonH comes home on Saturday 9th of April 2022 09:22:22 PM

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 34608
Date:

Number 99 is Tom Okker

www.tennisabstract.com/blog/2022/04/12/the-tennis-128-no-99-tom-okker/

__________________
«First  <  1 2 3 4 547  >  Last»  | Page of 47  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard