Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Coronavirus - general, non tennis related


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 32120
Date:
Coronavirus - general, non tennis related


Oakland2002 wrote:
Bob in Spain wrote:
brittak wrote:

I notice cases seem to be on the rise again in Spain - nearly 39k today. Hope its not too bad where you are Bob.


Doing KO here thanks. Fairly small town and almost everybody is following the rules. In the town (approx 20k pop.) we peaked a couple of weeks ago at positive tests in the previous 14 days. This number is down to 34 now and falling.  We are still required to wear masks in any indoor situation but other than that, life is going on normally other than travel restrictions.

Having said all that, the new more transmissable variant is now in Spain and rumours are that the government are considering an early lock down to avoid spread, but we hear lots of rumours and many of them are just that.

Thank for asking.


Great to see the Spanish are learning the lesson we have been taught re the new variant. It was much harder to get the ball rolling second time. Stay safe and keep exercising 


 Indeed, just like the UK government learned from the Italian and Spanish experiences of the first variant so acted early to get ahead of the game. Err not!!!

To effectively follow their curve back last spring rather than do better remains tragic. 



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 32120
Date:

indiana wrote:

Summarising the last 6 weeks' UK figures including the latest week to Friday, as to be expected deaths are markedly up again and unfortunately new cases continue to also rise with Friday's 68,053 figure being the highest single day's report yet.

28/11 - 04/12 : new cases 101,131, deaths 3,066
05/12 - 11/12 : new cases 119,022, deaths 2,890
12/12 - 18/12 : new cases 161,713, deaths 3,034
19/12 - 25/12 : new cases 244,145, deaths 3,654
26/12 - 01/01 : new cases 320,753, deaths 3.930
02/01 - 08/01 : new cases 415,408, deaths 5,708


 And so indeed for last week reported new UK cases are down, but wavering? Deaths continue upwards for now.

09/01 - 15/01 : new cases 358,547, deaths 7,462



__________________


Strong Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 432
Date:

Wondering how all of these people are catching Corona? The government should be gathering data from those infected as understanding how/where/why would help stop the spread.

Eg. do they work in a public facing role, regularly use public transport, fail to wear a mask, or wipe down a trolley, or sanitise their hands when shopping (seen many people not doing at least two of these), illegally meet up with family living in a different household etc

__________________


Grand Slam Champion

Status: Offline
Posts: 4962
Date:

I think its more a question of how they caught COVID the majority of positive tests are still in those who are symptomatic so probably reflects the contacts of those who caught it over Christmas & new year before a significant proportion of the population realised lockdown meant lockdown. The drop in number of new cases makes me cautiously optimistic the message has got through.

From personal experience teenagers are very hard to control unless the message is crystal clear, zero flexibility or room for misinterpretation, this was poorly done from central government. Personally very grateful to the ITU consultant at the Whittington and his outburst below helped get the message through.

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-55479018

Genuinely feel the message has to be that strong. It is as advertised much more infective (I disagree with Prof Montgomery) with many more medical staff off with COVID or self isolating. First time round I spoke to many people (close to 50 a week) very few had it, this time generally come across a couple who have had a positive test & symptomatic during each session usually caught from a family member.

I think the realisation of the anticipated high levels of deaths through the rest of January and into February will keep everybody focused, no room for relaxation.



-- Edited by Oakland2002 on Saturday 16th of January 2021 10:43:52 PM

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 32120
Date:

In covid deaths per capita there were 3 countries ( at least with populations of over a million ) with reported deaths of over 100 per million last week ( Saturday to Friday ) - ie. over 1 in 10,000 in just a week. The UK was in between the contingent parts of the old Czechoslovakia.

1. Czech Rep. 116 per million
2. UK 110  ( 7462 in 68.08 million ) 
3. Slovakia 105



__________________


Grand Slam Champion

Status: Offline
Posts: 4962
Date:

Excess deaths are tailing off a product of COVID having polished off a significant proportion of the most vulnerable and social distancing, hand hygiene mitigating flu rates?

amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/17/statistics-explained-covid-19-excess-deaths-david-spiegelhalter



__________________


Masters Series Champion

Status: Offline
Posts: 3612
Date:

Every silver lining has a cloud smile



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 14810
Date:

Numbers are starting to drop - lockdown effect. Still very high though.

__________________


Social player

Status: Offline
Posts: 29
Date:

We did it! In less than a year, too.

USA current death toll from COVID-19: 405,923*
USA official death toll in WWII: 405,399

* as of 19:00 UTC 01/17/2021



__________________


Grand Slam Champion

Status: Offline
Posts: 4962
Date:

paulisi wrote:

Numbers are starting to drop - lockdown effect. Still very high though.


 Death rates will continue to rise probably for a month or more, really only now looking at the sickest patients having had a months worth of ITU. 



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 34730
Date:

Oakland2002 wrote:
paulisi wrote:

Numbers are starting to drop - lockdown effect. Still very high though.


 Death rates will continue to rise probably for a month or more, really only now looking at the sickest patients having had a months worth of ITU. 


Those who die who've had a month's worth of ITU, though, won't show up on the covid figures - it's only the people who die within 28 days of the test.

(They'll be in the general mortality figures, of course) 



__________________


Futures qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 1595
Date:

If I Could Serve Id Have Been A Contender wrote:

We did it! In less than a year, too.

USA current death toll from COVID-19: 405,923*
USA official death toll in WWII: 405,399

* as of 19:00 UTC 01/17/2021


 https://z3news.com/w/johns-hopkins-student-newsletter-exposes-facts-covid19-deaths-contradicting-public-narrative/

 

An article about COVID deaths in the US, they do in fact appear to rename COVID 19 deaths, and there is a corresponding drop in all the other main causes of death. Article remains in the internet archive as it was pulled from public use shortly after putting it up, says loads really!

 



__________________


County player

Status: Offline
Posts: 969
Date:

Miriambee wrote:
If I Could Serve Id Have Been A Contender wrote:

We did it! In less than a year, too.

USA current death toll from COVID-19: 405,923*
USA official death toll in WWII: 405,399

* as of 19:00 UTC 01/17/2021


 https://z3news.com/w/johns-hopkins-student-newsletter-exposes-facts-covid19-deaths-contradicting-public-narrative/

 

An article about COVID deaths in the US, they do in fact appear to rename COVID 19 deaths, and there is a corresponding drop in all the other main causes of death. Article remains in the internet archive as it was pulled from public use shortly after putting it up, says loads really!

 


 Yup. And the additional 400,000 deaths over other years are just "unexplained". Definitely nothing to do with Covid.

 The article was definitely withdrawn because of a cover up as it is indisputably the truth, and nothing at all to do with it being wrong. From the "internet archive" linked:

Spoiler

 -- As a general principle, I would suggest not getting ones view of the news from sites with a subhead "Revealing Mystery Babylon". From elsewhere on the site:

God has put it clearly on my heart that it is not enough for me & my family to not take the vaccine. He wants me to continue to share the damaging effects of this vaccine with not only His people but also non-Believers. The complexity and weight of this responsibility can feel difficult at times but I believe ALL of us must try to help others gain wisdom about this 

 



-- Edited by christ on Monday 18th of January 2021 03:54:04 PM

__________________


Grand Slam Champion

Status: Offline
Posts: 4962
Date:

Coup Droit wrote:
Oakland2002 wrote:
paulisi wrote:

Numbers are starting to drop - lockdown effect. Still very high though.


 Death rates will continue to rise probably for a month or more, really only now looking at the sickest patients having had a months worth of ITU. 


Those who die who've had a month's worth of ITU, though, won't show up on the covid figures - it's only the people who die within 28 days of the test

(They'll be in the general mortality figures, of course) 


They will of course count as COVID deaths as ITU mortality rates are also recorded an audited as is HES data etc... COVID will be the cause of death recorded on part I of their death certificate so there will be absolute clarity in time but it is a ironic that the data released daily is distorted in this way. 



__________________


Grand Slam Champion

Status: Offline
Posts: 4962
Date:

Interesting read

twitter.com/vitalsparks/status/1352945643141144581

__________________
« First  <  Page 62  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard