Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Holiday chaos


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 17065
Date:
Holiday chaos


Anyone had any fun trying to put any claims in with airlines?

Our outbound departure was cancelled by easyJet 24hrs in advance of Storm Dennis. We couldn't get on an alternative flight and couldn't get through to easy jet as they cancelled hundreds of flights and their call centre was inundated.

Luckily we got connecting flights out.

The flight coming back was delayed an hour and a half, however another of our group had a four hour delay going out (medical emergency and engineering issue) and their return flight has been cancelled due to fog and sandstorm and they are stuck at the airport overnight.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 17065
Date:

The airport was closed all day today, so there are now thousands stuck in the Canary Islands.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 34627
Date:

paulisi wrote:

The airport was closed all day today, so there are now thousands stuck in the Canary Islands.


 Hope you're ok paulisi, airlines dont seem to be getting much credit for how they are dealing with this. 

 

Hope you get back ok. 

 

Heavy snow in yorkshire also today, roads and schools closed here. 



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 17065
Date:

I was lucky. Our flight left just as the fog kicked in. That was Saturday afternoon.
Other members of our group were on a later flight which got cancelled. There were no flights on Sunday and they are currently delayed awaiting take off now. So they have been stuck for two and a half days.
TUI have put them up eventually in hotels for two nights, but they are extremely frustrated.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 18999
Date:

paulisi wrote:

I was lucky. Our flight left just as the fog kicked in. That was Saturday afternoon.
Other members of our group were on a later flight which got cancelled. There were no flights on Sunday and they are currently delayed awaiting take off now. So they have been stuck for two and a half days.
TUI have put them up eventually in hotels for two nights, but they are extremely frustrated.


Saw this report and tried to spot you in the airport photo.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51608779

Glad you made it home OK.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 17065
Date:

Claims are going in.
Easy jet have agreed to refund the cancellation, but not agreed yet on alternative flight costs.
TUI have offered compensation for the 3 night delay. This has been rejected as deemed not enough.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 18999
Date:

paulisi wrote:

Claims are going in.
Easy jet have agreed to refund the cancellation, but not agreed yet on alternative flight costs.
TUI have offered compensation for the 3 night delay. This has been rejected as deemed not enough.


Best of luck with the claims.

I have had mixed experiences with claims on delayed/cancelled flights in the past.  For me, Easyjet was the best at handling the situation.  In my last visit to the UK just over a year ago, I was caught up at Gatwick in the "Drone affair" and ended up going Birmingham, Frankfurt, Munich, Barcelona and then home.  I put in my bills for everything - flights, hotels, car hire, petrol etc - and they paid in full within 7 days, no questions asked.

Portuguese airline TAP on the other hand ...  the least said the better.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 17065
Date:

The three day delay has made the National newspapers with the independent, the mail and a couple of other papers covering it.
TUI's handling of the episode is a disgrace.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 17065
Date:

Talk of legal action against TUI as they are refusing to acknowledge the technical issues with the plane and only offering a refund on flights as per EU law.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 34627
Date:

Related, these folks who are quarantined in the hotel in tenerife, who pays for the hotel nights? If you're stuck in a hotel for two weeks longer, got maybe 2 rooms, that's quite a lot of money and many wont be able to afford. Do hotel cover it on insurance? Or the customer, and who pays for meals. You could find yourself going through a few grand extra.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 17065
Date:

JonH comes home wrote:

Related, these folks who are quarantined in the hotel in tenerife, who pays for the hotel nights? If you're stuck in a hotel for two weeks longer, got maybe 2 rooms, that's quite a lot of money and many wont be able to afford. Do hotel cover it on insurance? Or the customer, and who pays for meals. You could find yourself going through a few grand extra.


 Big article in telegraph today. Insurance may or may not cover dependant on terms in contract.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 34627
Date:

paulisi wrote:
JonH comes home wrote:

Related, these folks who are quarantined in the hotel in tenerife, who pays for the hotel nights? If you're stuck in a hotel for two weeks longer, got maybe 2 rooms, that's quite a lot of money and many wont be able to afford. Do hotel cover it on insurance? Or the customer, and who pays for meals. You could find yourself going through a few grand extra.


 Big article in telegraph today. Insurance may or may not cover dependant on terms in contract.


 Sadly it is behind a paywall for me!



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 17065
Date:

easyJet have settled for replacement flights - only argument was the 5am taxi fee, which is still under discussion.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 17065
Date:

TUI seem to have settled.
Refund of flight, expenses and 150 cash plus 500 worth of voucher per person.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 18999
Date:

paulisi wrote:

TUI seem to have settled.
Refund of flight, expenses and 150 cash plus 500 worth of voucher per person.


Excellent news.



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard