Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Wimbledon


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 54810
Date:
RE: Wimbledon


Lambda wrote:

The scheduling issue at Wimbledon is different from other Slams though. It's about the last match having to be played under the roof for the lighting. The players want the start time brought forward so most of the matches finish during daylight hours without the roof, weather permitting.


True enough.  We've been comparing apples & oranges!



__________________
Jan


Hall of fame

Status: Offline
Posts: 7822
Date:

I am so glad that Wimbledon doesn't have separate day and night sessions. The 11pm curfew is a good thing in my books. I would be for a slightly earlier start on show courts they manage it on the outside ones.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 39933
Date:

Jan wrote:

I am so glad that Wimbledon doesn't have separate day and night sessions. The 11pm curfew is a good thing in my books. I would be for a slightly earlier start on show courts they manage it on the outside ones.


I agree on both counts.

Given Wimbledon is always saying that it remains essentially an outdoor tournanent and Lambda was saying the players too would like earlier starts to reduce the number of scheduled matches that finish under the roof, earlier starts sure seem to make sense.

The corporates can eat earlier!



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 53761
Date:

The same applies to the French too

It's understandable that you can't start grass events too early - they normally need a little time to dry off in the mornings

BUT there's no reason centre court can't start at 11, say, like the other courts

And the French could start at 10 if they wanted

The corporates often don't come for much of the first match anyway and - as you say - they can come earlier if they want to - they're supposed to be used to high power breakfast meetings, if US movies are to be believed

__________________


Top national player

Status: Online
Posts: 3328
Date:

Coup Droit wrote:

The same applies to the French too

It's understandable that you can't start grass events too early - they normally need a little time to dry off in the mornings

BUT there's no reason centre court can't start at 11, say, like the other courts

And the French could start at 10 if they wanted

The corporates often don't come for much of the first match anyway and - as you say - they can come earlier if they want to - they're supposed to be used to high power breakfast meetings, if US movies are to be believed


 I'm sure I read somewhere that part of the problem on the show courts is that they're damp in the mornings and the stands prevent them from drying as quickly as the more open courts.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 53761
Date:

hairdryers

__________________


Club Coach

Status: Offline
Posts: 550
Date:

emmsie69 wrote:
Coup Droit wrote:

The same applies to the French too

It's understandable that you can't start grass events too early - they normally need a little time to dry off in the mornings

BUT there's no reason centre court can't start at 11, say, like the other courts

And the French could start at 10 if they wanted

The corporates often don't come for much of the first match anyway and - as you say - they can come earlier if they want to - they're supposed to be used to high power breakfast meetings, if US movies are to be believed


 I'm sure I read somewhere that part of the problem on the show courts is that they're damp in the mornings and the stands prevent them from drying as quickly as the more open courts.


 Don't they cover all the show courts overnight with tented covers and have (or could have) fans blowing underneath them? So they'd surely be as dry as when they've been uncovered after rain.

And CD jokes about hairdryers, but... leaf blowers?



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 38574
Date:

I agree with this - whether its 11 or any other time, surely they can do better than 1.30!

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 38574
Date:

Key Dates: The 137th Championships
Wednesday 19 June: Initial wild cards announced
Monday 24 - Thursday 27 June: Qualifying Competition, Wimbledon Qualifying and Community Sports Centre, Roehampton
Friday 28 June: 10am, Official Draw
Saturday 29 - Sunday 30 June: Player Media Availabilities (players and times TBC)
Monday 1 Sunday 14 July: The Championships 2024

__________________


Junior player

Status: Offline
Posts: 94
Date:

Are we expecting Novak Djokovic to be fit to play?

I thought he had an operation immediately after retiring from the French Open for a Meniscus tear?  I had that operation on my knee in March and it was 2 weeks of no training followed by a gradual strengthening.  I was able to cycle due to in line forces but rotational sport such as tennis can be very sore and damaging so I question whether he will be fit for Wimbledon??

Just noting that Jack Draper is prospective ranking of 33 at the moment so a seed not playing may raise him into the seeds...



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 54810
Date:

simon381 wrote:

Are we expecting Novak Djokovic to be fit to play?


Looking unlikely.



__________________


Satellite level

Status: Offline
Posts: 1434
Date:

JonH comes home wrote:

I agree with this - whether its 11 or any other time, surely they can do better than 1.30!


 It makes no sense re:TV coverage anyway as the BBC1 afternoon programme doesn't start until after the national/regional news at 1:45pm with usually five more minutes of intro before they finally start showing live tennis.



__________________


Intermediate Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 258
Date:

I would start them at 12, they should be later than the other courts to give them some prestige but shouldnt be at 1:30 as its silly

__________________


Masters Series Champion

Status: Offline
Posts: 3670
Date:

emmsie69 wrote:
Coup Droit wrote:

The same applies to the French too

It's understandable that you can't start grass events too early - they normally need a little time to dry off in the mornings

BUT there's no reason centre court can't start at 11, say, like the other courts

And the French could start at 10 if they wanted

The corporates often don't come for much of the first match anyway and - as you say - they can come earlier if they want to - they're supposed to be used to high power breakfast meetings, if US movies are to be believed


 I'm sure I read somewhere that part of the problem on the show courts is that they're damp in the mornings and the stands prevent them from drying as quickly as the more open courts.


 Im pretty sure the main reason is to allow the corporates and others to fill up the on-site restaurants for lunch before the tennis starts.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 53761
Date:

Madadman wrote:
emmsie69 wrote:
Coup Droit wrote:

The same applies to the French too

It's understandable that you can't start grass events too early - they normally need a little time to dry off in the mornings

BUT there's no reason centre court can't start at 11, say, like the other courts

And the French could start at 10 if they wanted

The corporates often don't come for much of the first match anyway and - as you say - they can come earlier if they want to - they're supposed to be used to high power breakfast meetings, if US movies are to be believed


 I'm sure I read somewhere that part of the problem on the show courts is that they're damp in the mornings and the stands prevent them from drying as quickly as the more open courts.


 Im pretty sure the main reason is to allow the corporates and others to fill up the on-site restaurants for lunch before the tennis starts.


 The corporates will do that no matter what

You could start it at 11 am, (or 12 if you need to, for more drying) with the slightly 'lesser' of your show matches

They'll still come and wine and dine their plenty

And then they'll watch the afternoon tennis (or not) 



__________________
« First  <  Page 47  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard