Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Johanna Konta


Club Coach

Status: Offline
Posts: 690
Date:
RE: Johanna Konta


Jo is entered for Dubai, Doha and Monterrey as I think she mentioned in her press conference in Australia. Lets hope she manages to play in them and gets some wins.



__________________


Club Coach

Status: Offline
Posts: 690
Date:

Jo is featured in the What's Not, What's Hot column of the  Saturday Daily Mail. It is a sobering thought that if Jo does  not win a singles match in Doha then she will have gone 6 months without a singles win. Any predictions what her ranking will be at year end. Could it come crashing down Gabi Taylor style?.



__________________


Hall of fame

Status: Offline
Posts: 8346
Date:

Look on the pessimistic side - if Jo doesn't win another match before Wimbledon, she'll still be inside the top 70. So I think a major crash is unlikely unless she is out injured for a while.

__________________


Club Coach

Status: Offline
Posts: 690
Date:

The week in St Petersburg illustrated just how few matches Jo has played since losing to Svitolina in the US Open  on 3rd September last year. Up to the start of St Petersburg  she had played just 2 singles  since then. In the last week including doubles she played 4 matches which is double the last 5 months. Lets hope she can pick up some momentum somewhere. 



__________________


Top national player

Status: Offline
Posts: 3442
Date:

Well at least she picked up some points here - albeit in doubles. smile We seem to have a lot of crocks in the womens at the moment.



__________________


Club Coach

Status: Offline
Posts: 690
Date:

the addict wrote:

Look on the pessimistic side - if Jo doesn't win another match before Wimbledon, she'll still be inside the top 70. So I think a major crash is unlikely unless she is out injured for a while.


 Well she might be injured for a while because on a continuing theme she has pulled out of Doha. Perhaps over the years she has punished her knees too much.



__________________


Lower Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 190
Date:

ROSAMUND wrote:
the addict wrote:

Look on the pessimistic side - if Jo doesn't win another match before Wimbledon, she'll still be inside the top 70. So I think a major crash is unlikely unless she is out injured for a while.


 Well she might be injured for a while because on a continuing theme she has pulled out of Doha. Perhaps over the years she has punished her knees too much.


 Has there been any reason given?

If it is her knee again then it really is starting to look like it isn't being managed by merely not playing.



__________________


Club Coach

Status: Offline
Posts: 690
Date:

HarryGem wrote:
ROSAMUND wrote:
the addict wrote:

Look on the pessimistic side - if Jo doesn't win another match before Wimbledon, she'll still be inside the top 70. So I think a major crash is unlikely unless she is out injured for a while.


 Well she might be injured for a while because on a continuing theme she has pulled out of Doha. Perhaps over the years she has punished her knees too much.


 Has there been any reason given?

If it is her knee again then it really is starting to look like it isn't being managed by merely not playing.


 The Gulf Times reported that Jo and Bianca Andreescu had withdrawn from Doha with knee injuries. Whatever  way she is trying to deal with it, it can hardly be said to be working and seemingly from her interviews it is not something that is operable like Roger Federer. However she is highly enough ranked as a direct entry for Paris and Wimbledon. Assuming that the Olympics are not cancelled because of the Corona virus then she is on the fringes of having enough points to qualify. I reckon she has 984 points for Olympic qualification  which equates to 61 in world terms. There are 56 direct entries and a country can only have 4 entrants. The  USA currently have 9 women in the top 56 so 5 players are going to be disappointed. Similarly the Czech Republic has 5 so 1 player will miss out. So a ranking of lower than 56 will qualify. In fact the more players the USA has in the top 56 the better. On a totally gloomy front persistent  knee problems have brought about the end of tennis careers. In retirement they never tell you how many knee and hip replacements players have had.



__________________


Club Coach

Status: Offline
Posts: 690
Date:

HarryGem wrote:
ROSAMUND wrote:
the addict wrote:

Look on the pessimistic side - if Jo doesn't win another match before Wimbledon, she'll still be inside the top 70. So I think a major crash is unlikely unless she is out injured for a while.


 Well she might be injured for a while because on a continuing theme she has pulled out of Doha. Perhaps over the years she has punished her knees too much.


 Has there been any reason given?

If it is her knee again then it really is starting to look like it isn't being managed by merely not playing.


 Now it depends which version you believe  seemingly. The first was in the Gulf Times saying Jo withdrew because of a knee injury. However Stuart Fraser from the Times on twitter quoted a spokesman as saying  she opted for training over matchplay because her confidence is not high. She hasn't won a match for 5 and a half months. On the training side she skipped Adelaide and then look what happened in the Australian Open. Why are we having spokesman when we have social  media these days?



__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6867
Date:

ROSAMUND wrote:
HarryGem wrote:
ROSAMUND wrote:
the addict wrote:

Look on the pessimistic side - if Jo doesn't win another match before Wimbledon, she'll still be inside the top 70. So I think a major crash is unlikely unless she is out injured for a while.


 Well she might be injured for a while because on a continuing theme she has pulled out of Doha. Perhaps over the years she has punished her knees too much.


 Has there been any reason given?

If it is her knee again then it really is starting to look like it isn't being managed by merely not playing.


 Now it depends which version you believe  seemingly. The first was in the Gulf Times saying Jo withdrew because of a knee injury. However Stuart Fraser from the Times on twitter quoted a spokesman as saying  she opted for training over matchplay because her confidence is not high. She hasn't won a match for 5 and a half months. On the training side she skipped Adelaide and then look what happened in the Australian Open. Why are we having spokesman when we have social  media these days?


I think both versions are broadly compatible. Jo's not playing because she does have an ongoing knee issue, and she's not minded to risk it further at the moment because her confidence is also low. I'm also sure the 4 games in a week, even if doubles may have caused a reaction. In the end it doesn't really matter which version is used, the prognosis is not good at the moment.

I'm also wondering about Federer's recent keyhole knee surgery and wondering whether some type of intervention would not be possible for Jo too, though maybe she has the wrong type of injury for something like that to be effective.



__________________


Club Coach

Status: Offline
Posts: 690
Date:

Michael D wrote:
ROSAMUND wrote:
HarryGem wrote:
ROSAMUND wrote:
the addict wrote:

Look on the pessimistic side - if Jo doesn't win another match before Wimbledon, she'll still be inside the top 70. So I think a major crash is unlikely unless she is out injured for a while.


 Well she might be injured for a while because on a continuing theme she has pulled out of Doha. Perhaps over the years she has punished her knees too much.


 Has there been any reason given?

If it is her knee again then it really is starting to look like it isn't being managed by merely not playing.


 Now it depends which version you believe  seemingly. The first was in the Gulf Times saying Jo withdrew because of a knee injury. However Stuart Fraser from the Times on twitter quoted a spokesman as saying  she opted for training over matchplay because her confidence is not high. She hasn't won a match for 5 and a half months. On the training side she skipped Adelaide and then look what happened in the Australian Open. Why are we having spokesman when we have social  media these days?


I think both versions are broadly compatible. Jo's not playing because she does have an ongoing knee issue, and she's not minded to risk it further at the moment because her confidence is also low. I'm also sure the 4 games in a week, even if doubles may have caused a reaction. In the end it doesn't really matter which version is used, the prognosis is not good at the moment.

I'm also wondering about Federer's recent keyhole knee surgery and wondering whether some type of intervention would not be possible for Jo too, though maybe she has the wrong type of injury for something like that to be effective.


 A couple of things, firstly when Jo was asked about surgery in her Australian Open press conference she said it was not an option. Secondly I was reading Stuart Fraser's article from The Times of the 21st February. It is headed Konta's fitness woe. It continues there is growing concern about the physical condition of Johanna Konta. It mentions she withdrew from Dubai and Qatar citing the right-knee injury that has  bothered her for some time. The report continues with the spokesman saying  because her confidence is not high at the moment she has chosen to take part in a training block rather than compete in tournaments. Fraser considers it a peculiar decision for a player who has not  won a match since last September. Seemingly Jo plans to play in Monterrey on March 2. Obviously that remains to be seen. As I said before perhaps she has punished her knees too much over the years and that's it.  



__________________


Club Coach

Status: Offline
Posts: 690
Date:

Meanwhile you can see on instagram what  Jo's been up to in the last  week and its not tennis. 



__________________


Masters Series Champion

Status: Offline
Posts: 3677
Date:

ROSAMUND wrote:

Meanwhile you can see on instagram what  Jo's been up to in the last  week and its not tennis. 


 What's your point here? Plenty of players, sports people or whatever post stuff that isn't their job. Stan Wawrinka posts a lot about coffee!



__________________


Club Coach

Status: Offline
Posts: 690
Date:

flamingowings wrote:
ROSAMUND wrote:

Meanwhile you can see on instagram what  Jo's been up to in the last  week and its not tennis. 


 What's your point here? Plenty of players, sports people or whatever post stuff that isn't their job. Stan Wawrinka posts a lot about coffee!


 Why pick on my post here.  It  was just a general comment on Jo's    activities  last week bearing in mind the fact that she has hardly played  any tennis in the last 6 months.  I  think your comment was a bit unnecessary to be honest.



-- Edited by ROSAMUND on Tuesday 25th of February 2020 05:51:07 PM



-- Edited by ROSAMUND on Tuesday 25th of February 2020 06:37:09 PM



-- Edited by ROSAMUND on Tuesday 25th of February 2020 06:44:42 PM

__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6867
Date:

ROSAMUND wrote:
flamingowings wrote:
ROSAMUND wrote:

Meanwhile you can see on instagram what  Jo's been up to in the last  week and its not tennis. 


 What's your point here? Plenty of players, sports people or whatever post stuff that isn't their job. Stan Wawrinka posts a lot about coffee!


 Why pick on my post here.  It  was just a general comment on Jo's    activities  last week bearing in mind the fact that she has hardly played  any tennis in the last 6 months.  I  think your comment was a bit unnecessary to be honest.



For me the instagram post was interesting in that Jo is clearly seeking restoratives outside the game at the moment. Playing tennis cannot be too much fun for her at the time being, a) owing to her ongoing knee injury and b) owing to her ongoing poor results. Like Rosamund and others, I am worried not just about Jo's season but her whole career at the moment.



__________________
«First  <  127 28 29 30 3134  >  Last»  | Page of 34  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard