Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Dan Evans


Lower Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 180
Date:
RE: Dan Evans


christ wrote:
I guess that you fall into the "druggies should never play again" camp, but that is not the same as "due process".

 


No, if thought that I would have said so, although there are careers where failing a drugs test is career ending. I sincerely hope that Dan has been/will be rehabilitated. The punishment that was given to him ensured he had no ranking points at the end of his ban. I feel that it is wrong for the LTA to then undermine their anti-drugs message by softening the blow for Dan. I'm not suggesting that he should never receive any WCs in the future, but receiving one in the first week of his return seems inappropriate.  It's also before Dan's current capabilities have been demonstrated in competition. A more appropriate response would (in my opinion) have been to wait to see how he performed on his return to competition and then decide whether he warrants a WC based on that performance. It's also worth remembering that in giving Dan a WC it deprives someone else from receiving it.



__________________


Intermediate Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 254
Date:

With regards to the WC's as much as an Evo fan i am, i personally think he should be starting from the very bottom & once proven his worth again i don't see anything wrong with a few WC's in a few months time purely on a results basis not for 'being a good boy' and sticking to what everyone else already does. That said i wish him every success, he isn't going to turn them down so if people are willing to back & support him then he needs to grab it with both hands.

__________________


Challenger qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 2292
Date:

mike55 wrote:
christ wrote:
I guess that you fall into the "druggies should never play again" camp, but that is not the same as "due process".

 


No, if thought that I would have said so, although there are careers where failing a drugs test is career ending. I sincerely hope that Dan has been/will be rehabilitated. The punishment that was given to him ensured he had no ranking points at the end of his ban. I feel that it is wrong for the LTA to then undermine their anti-drugs message by softening the blow for Dan. I'm not suggesting that he should never receive any WCs in the future, but receiving one in the first week of his return seems inappropriate.  It's also before Dan's current capabilities have been demonstrated in competition. A more appropriate response would (in my opinion) have been to wait to see how he performed on his return to competition and then decide whether he warrants a WC based on that performance. It's also worth remembering that in giving Dan a WC it deprives someone else from receiving it.


He wont get any prize money or ranking points until he wins 3 matches. It would be easier in futures for him. So the QWC isnt really an easy ride. Factor in the fact the tournament needs a profile. Cant see many people in Glasgow parting with £10 to see players theyve never heard of. And there is no comparison between Dan and Maria. You could argue that what Dan did had nothing to do with Sport. How many people are banned from their profession and unable to earn a living for taking a recreational drug? Very few. So I think the punishment is more than enough and Im sure he ll be eager to make up for lost time. He is our best player after Andy, ahead of Cam and Kyle for sure.



__________________

Keep Scotland tidy, bin the Tories and the politics of greed.



Masters Series Champion

Status: Offline
Posts: 3770
Date:

Head to head Edmund v Evans.
2-0. Evo hasnt won a set

__________________


County player

Status: Offline
Posts: 835
Date:

Evo may be more talented than Kyle (which is arguable) but he doesn't have the discipline - he is a bit like Stan Wawrinka in that on his day Dan is pretty unbeatable (see the nickname I've seen sometimes "Danimal") but he is streaky and temperamental rather than a"day in, day out" consistent player.

Kyle has risen to within the top 25, will probably be in the top 20 before long whereas Dan's CH is in the 40's.

I would also temper expectations - depending on what Dan has been doing in the last year, it could be that he isn't that fit, is more prone to injury or something else entirely.

__________________


Challenger qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 2292
Date:

Oakland2002 wrote:

Head to head Edmund v Evans.
2-0. Evo hasnt won a set


 Think you ll find Dan was ranked above Kyle before his ban. Match point in a slam against the winner in Stan. Dan is a better player than Kyle. Head to head as limited as that means little. Dan is our most naturally gifted player after Andy. Potential and ability wise no doubt for me. Effort and application lets him down whereas Kyle has more of that.



__________________

Keep Scotland tidy, bin the Tories and the politics of greed.



Challenger qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 2292
Date:

flamingowings wrote:

Evo may be more talented than Kyle (which is arguable) but he doesn't have the discipline - he is a bit like Stan Wawrinka in that on his day Dan is pretty unbeatable (see the nickname I've seen sometimes "Danimal") but he is streaky and temperamental rather than a"day in, day out" consistent player.

Kyle has risen to within the top 25, will probably be in the top 20 before long whereas Dan's CH is in the 40's.

I would also temper expectations - depending on what Dan has been doing in the last year, it could be that he isn't that fit, is more prone to injury or something else entirely.


 Dan would have went higher and didnt get as lucky as Kyle did in a Slam where Kyles ranking has benefitted. I doubt there would be much in it and its all conjecture but if both had been playing the last year Im confident that Dan would be ahead of Kyle. The caveat being if he had kept his eye on the prize. Both players at 100per cent effort and application then its Dan for me.



__________________

Keep Scotland tidy, bin the Tories and the politics of greed.



Lower Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 180
Date:

Jaggy1876 wrote:
How many people are banned from their profession and unable to earn a living for taking a recreational drug? Very few. 

Many people who work in the transport sector, e.g. marine, airlines, rail (I'm one) face an automatic 5 year removal of our safety certification, plus a lifelong record that includes the offence, which would make you unemployable. Doesn't just apply to pilots/drivers but also engineering & control staff also applies to alcohol too. And you can be prosecuted under the Transport & Works Act for good measure. Thankfully we all know the rules and obey them, so instances where it actually happen are fairly rare, but many thousands face this outcome if they transgress & get caught.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 26080
Date:

Yep, Dan is in one of these occupations that have such potentially dire consequences of him being under the influence. I mean he might dump a forehand into the net.

So yes clearly there are occupations where this is treated very seriously for understandable reasons. Non comparable occupations.

In tennis, for non performance enhancing drugs, we are talking about image rather than safety and absolutely draconian penalties that take someone out of the sport very long term are inappropriate.



__________________


Lower Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 180
Date:

I wasn't trying to equate playing tennis to safety critical industries, only correcting an incorrect assertion, as you can see from my quote.

__________________


Challenger qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 2292
Date:

mike55 wrote:

I wasn't trying to equate playing tennis to safety critical industries, only correcting an incorrect assertion, as you can see from my quote.


 You werent correcting anyone because you are not correct. Its your opinion which you are entitled too even if it doesnt have any scope and is fairly stoic and tory-ish. Its all about opinions and yours is to ban a player for a personal issue.



-- Edited by Jaggy1876 on Wednesday 18th of April 2018 07:03:27 PM

__________________

Keep Scotland tidy, bin the Tories and the politics of greed.



Lower Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 180
Date:

You're wrong about my politics. I've made my views clear so there isn't any more worth adding.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Online
Posts: 25931
Date:

Ignoring politics, surely the dispute is just language.

When Jaggy said 'very few' people get banned for a year for recreational drug use, I took that to be relatively, i.e as a percentage, very few people. Which I think is probably right.

If Mike is taking it as an absolute thing, saying it's not 'very few' in absolute terms because it applies to transport workers, then that may well also be true.

Personally, the relative approach seems more appropriate (because we're talking about different industries).

__________________


Strong Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 549
Date:

Edit



-- Edited by christ on Thursday 28th of June 2018 08:49:08 AM

__________________


Satellite level

Status: Offline
Posts: 1324
Date:

complete false argument for me
it aint the number that got done for 'recreational' drugs
question is how many get struck off for doing stuff banned by that industry
drugs is banned by sport. dont put it forwerd as only ""recreational"" dont matter becasue its banned the catigory of ban aint the issue. he did a banned ting and got banned. he didnt have to do it but did
he aint banned from earning a living from tennis neither he can become a coach or loads of jobs in tennis maybe he just dont get to do the same job = tennis pro on ATP thats his fault
thats the same as a malpractice doctor/surgon that gets struck off and has to go do other medical things at lower level
the thinking that you just serve a ban and pick up where you left off is all nuts it should be made plain that its just part of the deal you have to front up and deal with if you do stuff your industry dont allow
do the banned thing you expect the punishment and the results for the rest of your career

but genrally people here bend over backwards for evans hes the joey barton of tennis he aint never out of chances no amount of talking gonna change that they all love the rogue the ''badun'' made good from the wrong side of the tracks the floored character lol
i dont care if he ever comes back i dont wish him ill but hes had his chance and time plenty other good honourible players in the brit men and women to get behind i know its the minority opinion but fair plays and fair plays to those who keep cheering him on to no hard feelings lol

__________________
«First  <  125 26 27 28 2938  >  Last»  | Page of 38  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard