Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Week 18 - Uganda F1 - Kampala ($15,000) (clay)


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 39387
Date:
Week 18 - Uganda F1 - Kampala ($15,000) (clay)


Only gone and won it

George, you little star.

__________________


Futures level

Status: Offline
Posts: 1855
Date:

Well the last British guy around George's age that I can remember winning a Futures is a certain Andy Murray....

Can he do it? Come on George!!

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 16803
Date:

Wow. What a result. What a week.

One more to go George.

__________________


Futures qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 1516
Date:

The other semi final is looking like it is going to 3 sets. This may give a small advantage to George, especially if the final turns out to be a long match.



__________________


Challenger qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 2146
Date:

The ten points should place him somewhere around 1000. Might be able to get into some other Futures with that if not be ranked in Qualifying.

__________________


Challenger qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 2146
Date:

If you look for @ugandatennis on Twitter there are a few snippets of some of the points.

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 39387
Date:

Madadman wrote:

If you look for @ugandatennis on Twitter there are a few snippets of some of the points.


 

Thanks for that, Madadman. That forehand down the line is SUCH a George shot - just lovely.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 16803
Date:

SF: (Q) George Loffhagen UNR beat (4) Goran Markovic (SRB) WR 961 (CH = 957 in February) 6-4 6-4   smile

Final: (Q) George Loffhagen UNR v (1) Ivan Nedelko (RUS) WR 267 (CH 244 Apr 2018)

A classic Youth vs Experience match up.  Nedelko is 31 yo.



-- Edited by Bob in Spain on Sunday 6th of May 2018 08:00:03 AM

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 16803
Date:

Madadman wrote:

If you look for @ugandatennis on Twitter there are a few snippets of some of the points.


It obviously took them a few days to find out exactly who he was though.

How many RTs or FAVs for Geoffrey Loffhagen? This 17 year old Brit is steadily becoming a crowd favorite with his style of play.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 39904
Date:

Bob in Spain wrote:

SF: (Q) George Loffhagen UNR beat (4) Goran Markovic (SRB) WR 961 (CH = 957 in February) 6-4 6-4   smile

Final: (Q) George Loffhagen UNR v (1) Ivan Nedelko (RUS) WR 267 (CH 244 Apr 2018)

A classic Youth vs Experience match up.  Nedelko is 31 yo.


Wonderful news to which to log on. 



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 39904
Date:

Sadly, Experience triumphs over Youth:

Final:  (1) Ivan Nedelko (RUS) WR 267 defeated (Q) George Loffhagen UNR by 4 & 4 in an hour & 44 minutes  cry

Disappointing, but nevertheless a great week for young George - priceless experience, too, I'd have thought. 

Edit:  just added the match time, as George clearly didn't just roll over.



-- Edited by Stircrazy on Sunday 6th of May 2018 12:55:44 PM

__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 34752
Date:

Indeed what a great week for George and looks a decent showing in the final against such a high ranked player.

Level on 10 points with Aidan and doing it in less main draws should make him our #1 ranked junior eligible player on tiebreak and possibly into the top 1000.

At the moment in live rankings there are just 6 under 18 players in the top 1000, headed by a mile by Felix Auger-Aliassime (CAN) at live ranked 189 with the second, Rudolf Molleker (GER) at 494. All 6 of these are 17 yo and all different nationalities.

So for us to be on the verge of one, maybe two, U18s in that top 1000, and looking more to come from them and maybe others is very encouraging. George at just turned 17 last month could be the youngest of all in the top 1000 when his points go on.



__________________


ATP qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 2981
Date:

indiana wrote:

Indeed what a great week for George and looks a decent showing in the final against such a high ranked player.

Level on 10 points with Aidan and doing it in less main draws should make him our #1 ranked junior eligible player on tiebreak and possibly into the top 1000.

At the moment in live rankings there are just 6 under 18 players in the top 1000, headed by a mile by Felix Auger-Aliassime (CAN) at live ranked 189 with the second, Rudolf Molleker (GER) at 494. All 6 of these are 17 yo and all different nationalities.

So for us to be on the verge of one, maybe two, U18s in that top 1000, and looking more to come from them and maybe others is very encouraging. George at just turned 17 last month could be the youngest of all in the top 1000 when his points go on.


 I admire your positivity and ability to create something so wonderful and yet misleading at the same time. Space for you in Mays cabinet if you keep that up.

Anyway regardless of that a great run and just goes to show the points are there if you are willing to travel to the right places. 



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 34752
Date:

Actually I accept that that Uganda is a relatively soft tournament as will relatively be the two weeks that follow here though such as a good victory against the top 500 #2 seed and competitive final against the top 300 top seed were very good to see. So apologies if you thought that I made too much of it. I would be if truly saying that this meant our boys were looking in pole position going forward. Far too early to take too much from points or relative rankings among young players with very different schedules including number and standard of senior ITFs.

It was meant more as a statto thing, that George and Aidan are both on 10 points and where that currently statistically places them. And combined with that, but not just because of that, saying that there is general encouragement from our junior boys. I could have presented that more clearly and/or added cautions in my previous post re the statistics.

May and even some posters have agendas, thankfully relatively few. I have tennis beliefs, some of which I will argue strongly for but no particular agenda.



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 15064
Date:

The fact is that if you have come from juniors and don't have a ranking, it is very difficult to get on that ladder or to even get into qualifying. He had little choice, but to find a soft tournament. I think a run like this was beyond his expectations, but he will take it.

__________________
«First  <  1 2 3 4 5  >  Last»  | Page of 5  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard