Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Weeks 27 & 28 - The Championships, Wimbledon - men's singles (grass)


Satellite level

Status: Online
Posts: 1235
Date:
RE: Weeks 27 & 28 - The Championships, Wimbledon - men's singles (grass)


Julia Carrot wrote:

Back to personalities - I must admit I just generated a new respect for Federer having watching his 17 minute post match interview in 3 or 4 different languages. English, French, then perhaps Swiss German (which was ridiculously fast) and lastly German. Perhaps someone could enlighten me if it actually was Swiss German ? I have never really been a Federer fan, but that was very impressive !!


 Federer often does multi-language interviews because he can speak multiple languages. 

Swiss German is his native language.



__________________


Satellite level

Status: Online
Posts: 1235
Date:

Julia Carrot wrote:
flamingowings wrote:

Andy is just as good doing the commentary alongside Tim and Andrew Cotter as you'd expect.

Also, Kevin Anderson knocked out Federer.


 Hmmm,  rather alot of 'stating the obvious' I thought,  but some good insights too.

 


 Different strokes for different folks I guess. I thought he was pretty good for a first timer and, most importantly, no talking over points!



__________________


Challenger qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 2330
Date:

Nix wrote:

Well we fell short today. Croatia better team over the whole period of the match. The team went further than we thought they could.


 England beat Panama and Tunisia. Lost to Belgium and Croatia, drew with Columbia. Majority of goals scored penalties or set pieces and had a keeper save half a dozen certain goals. Fortunate draw, made the most of it etc, a very average team but nice guys and nice manager etc. Glad everyone had fun and the nation had some good times. Croatia a better team than England and deserved to win. That sums it up accurately Id say. 

Last team to score 2 goals v England in 90 mins is Scotland, still stands that.

Djokovic to win Wimbeldon and Croatia the World Cup for some Balkan euphoria I think.



__________________

Keep Scotland tidy, bin the Tories and the politics of greed.



Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 13019
Date:

Jaggy1876 wrote:
Nix wrote:

Well we fell short today. Croatia better team over the whole period of the match. The team went further than we thought they could.


 England beat Panama and Tunisia. Lost to Belgium and Croatia, drew with Columbia. Majority of goals scored penalties or set pieces and had a keeper save half a dozen certain goals. Fortunate draw, made the most of it etc, a very average team but nice guys and nice manager etc. Glad everyone had fun and the nation had some good times. Croatia a better team than England and deserved to win. That sums it up accurately Id say. 

Last team to score 2 goals v England in 90 mins is Scotland, still stands that.

Djokovic to win Wimbeldon and Croatia the World Cup for some Balkan euphoria I think.


We beat Sweden too.  But you are right that Croatia were the better team on the night, at least from the 2nd half onwards.



__________________


Strong Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 512
Date:

Jeff Stelling wrote:

Obviously desperate for GOAT Fed to claim the title, but could live with a Delpo or Nishikori title. They are all lovely and endearing gents.

Please God don't let the GCOAT Nadull take the crown (C does not stand for claycourter).



-- Edited by Jeff Stelling on Sunday 8th of July 2018 06:46:22 PM


Well that's Wimbledon cancelled. Bit pathetic from Anderson unless he's genuinely going to mount a title challenge.

Just have to pray to every god and deity that the GCOAT doesn't lift that title on Sunday.



__________________
Henman TID


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 28337
Date:

flamingowings wrote:
Julia Carrot wrote:

Back to personalities - I must admit I just generated a new respect for Federer having watching his 17 minute post match interview in 3 or 4 different languages. English, French, then perhaps Swiss German (which was ridiculously fast) and lastly German. Perhaps someone could enlighten me if it actually was Swiss German ? I have never really been a Federer fan, but that was very impressive !!


 Federer often does multi-language interviews because he can speak multiple languages. 

Swiss German is his native language.


And his mother's South African, hence the half-way decent  English.



__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6278
Date:

Jeff Stelling wrote:
Jeff Stelling wrote:

Obviously desperate for GOAT Fed to claim the title, but could live with a Delpo or Nishikori title. They are all lovely and endearing gents.

Please God don't let the GCOAT Nadull take the crown (C does not stand for claycourter).



-- Edited by Jeff Stelling on Sunday 8th of July 2018 06:46:22 PM


Well that's Wimbledon cancelled. Bit pathetic from Anderson unless he's genuinely going to mount a title challenge.

Just have to pray to every god and deity that the GCOAT doesn't lift that title on Sunday.


Bit pathetic from Anderson - for what coming from 2 sets down to to beat Federer!

I love how most Federer fans are such bad losers. 



__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6278
Date:

Jaggy1876 wrote:

 

Last team to score 2 goals v England in 90 mins is Scotland, still stands that.

 


 So what?



__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6278
Date:

Suprised Scotland didn't arrange a friendly against England just in case we won WC so they could pretend they were world champions again!

__________________


Challenger qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 2330
Date:

seagull wrote:
Jaggy1876 wrote:

 

Last team to score 2 goals v England in 90 mins is Scotland, still stands that.

 


 So what?


 Just for a bit of perspective Seagull, thats what. Another country with a population 10 times less, similar to Croatia. Social Media is both cringeworthy and amusing today with what I believe can be called poor losers. A bit of self deprecation needed with some personalities it seems. Its maybe a trait of certain nationalities. Its been a bad few days I guess, no Brits in Wimbledon, Davis and Johnson resigning and last night though.

Seagulls I believe do come home dont they?



__________________

Keep Scotland tidy, bin the Tories and the politics of greed.



Challenger qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 2330
Date:

seagull wrote:

Suprised Scotland didn't arrange a friendly against England just in case we won WC so they could pretend they were world champions again!


 We have had the World Number 1 in tennis I believe, a decent chap too, as opposed to a tax exile, didnt see it bounce twice guy.



__________________

Keep Scotland tidy, bin the Tories and the politics of greed.



All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6278
Date:

Jaggy1876 wrote:
seagull wrote:
Jaggy1876 wrote:

 

Last team to score 2 goals v England in 90 mins is Scotland, still stands that.

 


 So what?


 Just for a bit of perspective Seagull, thats what. Another country with a population 10 times less, similar to Croatia. Social Media is both cringeworthy and amusing today with what I believe can be called poor losers. A bit of self deprecation needed with some personalities it seems. Its maybe a trait of certain nationalities. Its been a bad few days I guess, no Brits in Wimbledon, Davis and Johnson resigning and last night though.

Seagulls I believe do come home dont they?


It's not a bit of perspective though is it - just meaningless stat. Perhaps more meaningful is your comparison about Scotland and Croatia's population stats which shows just how poor Scotland are?

No poor losers here thought Croatia deserved it.

Thanks for mentioning the mighty seagulls though - cheered me up thinking about second season in the Prem. By the way we just sold one of our second string defenders to Rangers where he will probably look like the best player in the league.      



-- Edited by seagull on Thursday 12th of July 2018 01:30:11 PM

__________________


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6278
Date:

Jaggy1876 wrote:
seagull wrote:

Suprised Scotland didn't arrange a friendly against England just in case we won WC so they could pretend they were world champions again!


 We have had the World Number 1 in tennis I believe, a decent chap too, as opposed to a tax exile, didnt see it bounce twice guy.


Yep I love Murray and would cheer him to the hilt. Unlike all those pathetic 'friends' up North who cheer for the likes of Croatia. Sad! 



__________________


Challenger qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 2330
Date:

Yes you are probably right Seagull about one of your defenders there. Take out all the imports into the Premiership it would be an equally poor league though. Rangers are essentially an English team anyway with their Brexit, Union Jack waving supporters. Majority of Rangers fans support England over Scotland but they are a bigoted bunch if you know anything about the religious divide that permeates in Scotland. Its the reason why we struggle to have a comepetive league. 2 teams only big due to religious choice rather than anything else.

At least England being out of the World Cup means the spotlight will be back on the tennis now. Sadly though a servebot like Isner or Anderson being in the final isnt ideal. Cant see past Djokovic now though.

Andy was fantastic on commentary yesterday, showed up Henman and co. Also think his hunger will be there even more now being in the box talking about the game and watching the players closely. He is a total anorak for the game as well which I love.

__________________

Keep Scotland tidy, bin the Tories and the politics of greed.



Challenger qualifying

Status: Offline
Posts: 2330
Date:

seagull wrote:
Jaggy1876 wrote:
seagull wrote:

Suprised Scotland didn't arrange a friendly against England just in case we won WC so they could pretend they were world champions again!


 We have had the World Number 1 in tennis I believe, a decent chap too, as opposed to a tax exile, didnt see it bounce twice guy.


Yep I love Murray and would cheer him to the hilt. Unlike all those pathetic 'friends' up North who cheer for the likes of Croatia. Sad! 


 Its interesting its only football where this applies though. Maybe searching for the reason might lead you to why this is. Arrogance, disrespect, ignorance, colonialism, gammonism (is that a word yet). Also a sense a humour. I didnt cheer Croatia winning, wouldnt have minded either way genuinely. It is however a sense of amusement seeing Lineker, Wright etc. Loved Roy Keane last night on telly as well.



__________________

Keep Scotland tidy, bin the Tories and the politics of greed.

«First  <  117 18 19 20 2125  >  Last»  | Page of 25  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard