Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Davis Cup 2018 World Group Play-Off - Great Britain v Uzbekistan - 14-16 September


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 26813
Date:
Davis Cup 2018 World Group Play-Off - Great Britain v Uzbekistan - 14-16 September


And against all odds ....

A home tie !



__________________


ATP level

Status: Offline
Posts: 3058
Date:

Whew!

__________________
JonH


ATP level

Status: Offline
Posts: 3058
Date:

The only player ranked inside top 300 singles or doubles is Denis Istomin, 83 in singles. He can be awkward but this tie should give us no fear. Indoors I suspect in September, can't see grass favouring us that much and hardcourt will have been the surface the guys will have played on recently

__________________
JonH


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 26813
Date:

So Denis Istomin plus ...

At WR 83 (CH 33 in August 2012) he is by far their top ranked singles player. Next two are currently WR 382 and 526.

And at WR 399 (CH 59 in October 2012) he is also their top ranked doubles player. Next two are currently WR 497 and 800.

Very good draw. If got to watch though those supposedly one man teams 



__________________


Tennis legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 26813
Date:

And the rest ( home teams first, seeds with * ) :

Argentina* v Colombia
Austria v Australia*
Switzerland* v Sweden
Serbia* v India
Canada* v Netherlands
Hungary v Czech Republic*
Japan* v Bosnia/Herzegovina



__________________


ATP level

Status: Offline
Posts: 3058
Date:

Courtesy of the Daily Fail

"While the Lawn Tennis Association would not comment about possible venues Glasgow must be an early favourite, and there is nothing booked in for the citys Emirates Arena that week, which has successfully hosted ties before.

In November the city also staged Murrays charity exhibition, and although his opponent Roger Federer would clearly have sold the tickets many times over it again showed the appetite for professional tennis there."




__________________
JonH


Hall of fame

Status: Offline
Posts: 9534
Date:

Uzbek also have Farrukh Dustov (CH 98 2015) but he seems to have been struggling with injuries and didn't win a main draw match last year and also hasn't played yet this year hence he's not currently ranked.

__________________


Satellite level

Status: Offline
Posts: 1491
Date:

Brilliant - couldn't have been better, could it?

__________________


Lower Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 244
Date:

Yes cracking draw.. Looking at Uzbek players, indoor hard would be the least successful for Istomin judging by his overall record and generally the slower the better for GB against Istomin. Fayziev at WR382 shouldn't be an issue for our boys. Local regional challengers and futures seems to be his level and we should be clear favourites for dubs anyway. Indoor Glasgow, the usual please.

__________________


Lower Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 244
Date:

indiana wrote:

And the rest ( home teams first, seeds with * ) :

Argentina* v Colombia
Austria v Australia*
Switzerland* v Sweden
Serbia* v India
Canada* v Netherlands
Hungary v Czech Republic*
Japan* v Bosnia/Herzegovina


 This could be tricky for Australia, with posibility of Thiem on clay.. Wouldn't seem quite right to have the first new style WC without old Oz.



__________________


ATP level

Status: Offline
Posts: 3058
Date:

Smudge226 wrote:
indiana wrote:

And the rest ( home teams first, seeds with * ) :

Argentina* v Colombia
Austria v Australia*
Switzerland* v Sweden
Serbia* v India
Canada* v Netherlands
Hungary v Czech Republic*
Japan* v Bosnia/Herzegovina


 This could be tricky for Australia, with posibility of Thiem on clay.. Wouldn't seem quite right to have the first new style WC without old Oz.


 Given Japan was seen as one of the possible venues for the new style event, Japan's draw will be a relief to the powers that be...



__________________
JonH


All-time great

Status: Offline
Posts: 6278
Date:

Oh not Glasgow again.

__________________


Lower Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 187
Date:

Quite.

__________________


Lower Club Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 244
Date:

Maybe GB should lay a clay court for this tie after Cam & Liam's heroics in Spain. Kedders and Jay so good for the dirt as well. Try a new partnership with any of these lads for the dubs as well. This is the perfect tie to try a new younger dubs partnership. Although not sure who here. Liam and Cam can't play any worse than Dom & Jamie did last time and it's high time we had another option. Maybe Jamie and Liam or something different now..

__________________


ATP level

Status: Offline
Posts: 3058
Date:

Smudge226 wrote:

Maybe GB should lay a clay court for this tie after Cam & Liam's heroics in Spain. Kedders and Jay so good for the dirt as well. Try a new partnership with any of these lads for the dubs as well. This is the perfect tie to try a new younger dubs partnership. Although not sure who here. Liam and Cam can't play any worse than Dom & Jamie did last time and it's high time we had another option. Maybe Jamie and Liam or something different now..


 Prediction for squad: in ranking order

Kyle, Andy, Cam, Liam, Jamie.

Kyle and Cam to play singles, Andy and Jamie to play doubles. Option to play Andy day three if needed. 

Tie to be in Glasgow. 

Sorted.

 

 

 



__________________
JonH
1 2 313  >  Last»  | Page of 13  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard